X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Scott Heath View Post
    ...After I finished playing all of them, I asked my listeners what they were hearing and they all agreed that the best instrument for me was the Miraphone 5050. I actually purchased the demo horn at the exhibit.
    Hey Scott,

Good for you!! The 5050 is a great horn, no doubt, and I would probably still be playing it today if it wasn't for my quite less than perfect lungs. That unfortunate reality provided me the reason to switch to the Adams E3, which for me, turns out to be the "one". You will surely enjoy the 5050.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• RickF
      • Jan 2006

Congrats Scott on your new M5050! I still love mine and often get compliments on its tone.
      Rick Floyd
      Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
      Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
      The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
      Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• MichaelSchott
        • Mar 2012

Congratulations Scott. What characteristics of the 5050 factored into your decision.

Comment

• JTJ
          • Nov 2005

I played a 5050 for a while. When I think of that euphonium, I think of power and projection greater than any other horn I have ever played. Ultimately, the ergonomics of it just didn't work for me and I moved on.

Comment

• Scott Heath
            • Apr 2020

Thanks to all for your input and advice over the past month. Guido, the mouthpieces that I used for my test were th Parker LaDuke 5G, and the Wick SM4U. After purchasing the horn I took a trip to see Carl Hammond in Chicago and purchased a Hammond F3. The F3 is a new mouthpiece with a more funnel shaped cup but with the rim closer to the Schilke. It really increased to clarity for me on the new Euphonium. I also made a call to Kronkhite cases and ordered a new bag from them, which may be 8-12 weeks until delivery.

I have to review the rules on this forum but the Prestige will be up for sale.

Comment

• Scott Heath
              • Apr 2020

The characteristics of the Miraphone that set it apart from the Adams were the ability to push the horn very hard and still get the tone that I wanted. The Adams instruments that I played had a wonderful tone and tuning but didn’t stay as consistent when I played Mars from the Planets. The Besson and the Miraphone had no problem with it. I like the tone of the 5050 better than the Prestige, which is why I made the change.

Comment

• guidocorona
                • Jun 2018

Hi Scott, your favorable impression and selection of M5050 corroborates my own brief encounter with the same Miraphone eupho at the last ITEC in 2019.... Playing it mostly with a SM4U, I found it to generate a tone shimmering with harmonics.... Made me think it perfect in a sinfonic orchestral role.... While it readily spoke with a velvety voice with just a tiny amount of breath, it seemed to yield a heroic tone when pushed... My favorite euphonium at that event.

Next time I encounter M5050, I will try it out with DC4.

Regards, Guido
                M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
                Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
                Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

Working...
                X