Thread: New Bente Illevold Album - ALONE

New Bente Illevold Album - ALONE

I just finished a very pleasurable task of reviewing Bente Illevold's new album, called "Alone" (or in Norwegian, "Alene"). It was a COVID shutdown project, and appropriately is unaccompanied. It is an excellent album with a wide range of musical styles. You can purchase it online in any of 3 audio resolutions (that is a very nifty option). Here is my blog review, which has links for the album, liner notes, and some of the sheet music:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...t-Alene-quot-)

I highly recommend buying this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BenteCover.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	8736
    Last edited by davewerden; 11-24-2021 at 08:59 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

First off, thanks much to Dave for providing a very thorough review of this album. It should be noted that only one of the tracks on this album is available in iTunes. So, Dave's review highlighting that this album had a complete rendition of the Bach Cello Suite #2 (one of my major playing objectives over the next year or so) certainly caught my attention.

I was very excited about the prospects of an unaccompanied album, especially one with a complete Bach cello suite. One of my favorite trombone albums is by Christian Lindberg titled "Unaccompanied," which uses the same concept. And like that album, "Alene" by Bente Illevold did not disappoint! On this album, I really enjoyed the Telemann 12 Fantasies and Paganini's famous Caprice No. 24 - very well done with great fresh interpretations. Several more modern pieces here were written for Bente, including the Dance Suite for Solo Euphonium, Inspired by Blue, and the hauntingly beautiful Lockdown Lullaby - all of these were exceptionally well done. Her own composition "Arv" was also included in the album, and I really enjoyed this one also.

However, first and foremost, I purchased this album because it included a complete recording of the Bach Cello Suite #2 - I'm not aware of too many complete recordings of a suite done on wind instruments - Christian Lindberg's rendition of Suite #2 transposed up and performed on alto trombone and Marion Verbruggen's complete suites on the recorder come to mind. I found Chris Olka's excellent rendition on YouTube with his 6/4 tuba at an ITEC a couple of years ago as well. But this one was done on euphonium. Bente's renditions exceeded all of my expectations. I completely agree with Dave that trying to cut notes off prematurely to take a quick breath can detract from a performance (for me at least). To get around that challenge, one approach that I think that works well is to use some degree of rubato to make the breath choices make sense - and Bente takes this approach to the next level. I loved her unique ideas here, and I will be incorporating many of these into my own approaches moving forward.

Overall, this is a wonderful album - two very enthusiastic thumbs up!
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

I'd like to add that Kevin Thompson also covers a lot of this genre with his albums "EuphonicBach" and "Telemann Fantasies". I'm not sure if they cover the entire Bach #2. Either way, excellent examples to listen to.
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Quote Originally Posted by tonewheeler View Post
    I'd like to add that Kevin Thompson also covers a lot of this genre with his albums "EuphonicBach" and "Telemann Fantasies". I'm not sure if they cover the entire Bach #2. Either way, excellent examples to listen to.
    Yes, I've had those albums by Kevin Thompson for years, and they are wonderful albums - however, when looking for examples on phrasing and where to breathe, Kevin makes extensive use of circular breathing, and that's a skill I just don't have. That's why I think Bente's rendition is a more reasonable example to emulate for me, personally.
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone