Thread: New Mercer and Barker Review - MB4 & MB4F

New Mercer and Barker Mouthpiece Review - MB4 & MB4F

Hey everyone,

I just got back from a weekend at the US Open in Kansas City. They had both models of the new Mercer and Barker mouthpieces there to try, and figured I would offer my thoughts on them.

The 2 models have the same rim size as a typical Wick 4 mouthpiece. The major difference between the MB4 and MB4F is the cup shape. The MB4F is more of a funnel shaped mouthpiece, and the MB4 is more like a cup shape.

I preferred the MB4F over the MB4. The 4F had more brilliance and clarity to the sound, whereas I felt the 4 seemed a bit hollow, although with a darker sound. I felt like I was fighting with the 4 when playing above middle Bb, and the 4F had a more even feel when going across the range of the instrument.

I ended up purchasing the MB4F to try it out, and as I play more with it I can provide additional comments.

Overall, I felt both mouthpieces made the horn sing more than either a Wick SM Ultra (haven’t played the X series or XR) or an Alliance mouthpiece. Both models are a great mouthpiece for brass band players or anyone wanting a warm sound that also has great core and presence.

I highly recommend you try them out! Brian Dobbins is handling US orders and is a pleasure to work with!
    Last edited by stevevaughn; 11-21-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Hi Steve, MB4F sounds very interesting... Hope that you will eventually record a video contrasting MB4F and your SM4U!

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 11-22-2021 at 04:23 PM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I have an early example of this piece - it’s marked MB5F, but I confirmed with M&B that they relabeled the piece as the MB4F. To me, it feels like it plays just a bit small for a “4” size piece.

They indicated they will be developing additional sizes early next year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi Steve, MB4F sounds very interesting... Hope that you will eventually record a video contrasting MB4F and your SM4U!

Regards, Guido
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

4. I've been playing on the SM4U for around 3 years now. I loved the sound on my old Yamaha, but now that I've moved to an Adams it doesn't have the same ring to it. The endurance, flexibility, and comfort is amazing, but I feel like it lacks a warm/dark core that I'm looking for. I also recently tried the new Griego BB1BT Mouthpiece, but while the core and darkness was there, it cut into my face too much to be comfortable.

So compared to those 2 mouthpieces, how does The Mercer and Barker compare?
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

Hello Steve Vaughn, I just noticed that you are selling your Mercer&Barker MB4F mouthpiece...

What mouthpiece are you now favoring for your Shires Q40?

And how is such new(?) MP working better for you than the MB4F?

Thanks, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Steve Vaughn, I just noticed that you are selling your Mercer&Barker MB4F mouthpiece...

What mouthpiece are you now favoring for your Shires Q40?

And how is such new(?) MP working better for you than the MB4F?

Thanks, Guido
    Hello!

I am using the new Glyn Williams model from Mercer and Barker, hence why I am selling my MB4F, which I used before getting the GW mouthpiece.
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium