Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wessex French C Tuba TC 236 P

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Update: The horn sounding flat issue was addressed by shortening the main tune slide and thinning the mouthpiece schank so that it fits deeper into the receiver. In this way, in addition to putting the intonation back in place (A = 442), I reduced the GAP by 11.5 mm, bringing it to the size of 3.2 mm which, for me and on this horn (after various experiments ) turns out to be the optimal distance. If I remember correctly Dave too, in the video explaining the AGR adjustment on his Adams he had come to a similar measure of GAP adjustment.
    Now I have to practice on the notes under the staff that are not yet obtainable automatically (I still have to memorize the various combinations with the 3 pistons operated by the left hand): I certainly don't lack time, having recovered from a serious injury (rupture of the tendon of the left leg quadriceps) which prevents me from walking. Between plaster and rehabilitation I will have it for at least 5/6 months.
    Greetings to everyone.
    Franz
    Sorry to hear about your injury, Franz. Hope you are better soon or at least the road to recovery is not too difficult.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Charmer View Post

With 3rd valve two tones you can reach a proper AA and you need for D only 36. And it is not difficult to get used to the fingering, I play all my C and Bb horns with long 3rd, only the Eb tuba and Eb alto I use with short 3rd. Half of my instruments have a long 3rd, so it was easier to pull the others out than changing everytime the fingering. And the sound for 23 with only one valve is better!
    Saluti, Helmut
    I extracted the 3th slide in order to get an Ab-Eb pitch like the original: with this configuration some notes sound better and you can use 2-3 for a pitched D (6th partial, with 1 partial 5th it sounds a little low) , and it was less difficult than I thought to get used to the new position, just a bit cumbersome the passage A-Ab.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

3. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    just a bit cumbersome the passage A-Ab.
    Quick changes E-Eb and A-Ab are comfortable with 12-125!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Charmer View Post
    Quick changes E-Eb and A-Ab are comfortable with 12-125!
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about it!
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

5. I wonder if anyone has tried to use one of these for the tuba part in a brass quintet and, if so, how much more work it would be than using a regular bass or contrabass tuba.

6. I used my french c for a while in my quintet, but only when we had to play as a quartet (after the trombone player worked abroad). I used it for better balance with the small bore trumpets and french horn. But we played mostly my own music arranged for this setting, so my part covered tuba and trombone sounds.
    For playing standard quintet music I think the sound is different to what the arranger wanted to hear. But it will work when you play it with a big mouthpiece. It is not too much work to play in the bass/contra register once you got used to the fingering.

A custom color note.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220427_205604.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	9027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220427_205638.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	9028

Name:	20220427_205351.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	9029

Name:	20220427_205411.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	9030

Name:	20220427_205443.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	9031

Name:	20220427_205515.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	9032

Name:	20220427_211139.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	9033

8. Sorry, but one more question for Snake Charmer and Franz. I am having difficulty figuring out how different the C tuba sounds from a euphonium with a similarly large mouthpiece. The specifications look pretty close. I have covered 5th parts in brass quintets, at least ones written with bass trombone in mind, using a euphonium with a 2g. I have also tried playing euphonium with a contrabass trombone mouthpiece and felt the tone I produced lacked focus. Thanks!

In my opinion and experience you should use (for all instruments) a mouthpiece with the largest possible internal diameter of the cup with which you can get the desired sound. It's not so much the mouthpiece itself, but the combination of it and the player's lip-labial musculature complex (you can find a review article I wrote here http://www.dwerden.com/forum/content...um-Mouthpieces ). In my case the measurements vary from the K&G 4C (internal diameter 26 mm, which I use on trombone and baritone) to the K&G 1D (internal diameter 27.7 mm which I use on the euphonium). With the French tuba I use the K&G 3D (to which I modified the shank on the outside and enlarged the internal diameter bringing it to 27.5mm). On both the euphonium and the French tuba I also use the K&G 3D + (diameter 26.7mm) which gives me a brighter sound. The Bach 2G has a diameter of 26.75 mm, comparable to the K&G 3 therefore, in my opinion, also suitable for the French tuba. When it arrived it included 2 mouthpieces, an euphonium type with a smaller internal diameter than those suitable for me and a bass type tuba with an extremely large diameter with which I was unable to obtain a sound that could be considered acceptable.
    Last edited by franz; 05-12-2022 at 03:26 AM.

10. The french C tuba is different to other brass, the same is with the Eb alto (UK:tenor horn).
    Nearly all brass instruments have some "ideal" mouthpiece size, which only differs between players reacting to lip size and blowing technique. If you get it too small the sound gets weak, if you take a too big one the tone loses center and pitch. With the french c tuba I can play with totally different mouthpieces: Allrounder is the Kelly Beast, a big bass trombone mp, for mostly high playing I use the Kelly BassBone, which is a bit smaller and for "big tuba playing" I take the Houser BelCanto, which I otherwise use with my (slender) F tuba. These give me three different sounds without compromising the playability. Only with the smallest mp the very low range is thinner (below pedal g!) and with the big one it is getting flat beyond e'.
    The same effect you can see with the Eb alto (piston valves). Some players are normally trumpet players and use it with slightly bigger trumpet mp, giving a clear sharp sound. Some are french horn players and use a french horn mp, which works good. Others (like me) use a tenor trombone mp and sound is also good over the whole range.
    Maybe an effect of the relationship between tube length and increasing diameter, but I made no measurements. But none of my C or Bb Saxhorns reacts this way, only my two French c tubas (Wessex and 1940 Courtois).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345