Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again

Congratulations on your purchase. I recently bought one myself, but with three compensated valves: robust instruments with a dark, warm and focused sound, typical of the British Bessons of the 60s/70s of the last century. To obviate the annoying noise of the metal guides of the pistons I applied a thin layer of two-component epoxy resin to the sides: a problem easily solved in short time with negligible expense.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Bravo, Pat!

That is definitely a keeper.

I'll keep an eye out for the fourth finger button for you.

Dennis
    Many thanks... it definitely needs that fourth finger button to cap off the look!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase. I recently bought one myself, but with three compensated valves: robust instruments with a dark, warm and focused sound, typical of the British Bessons of the 60s/70s of the last century. To obviate the annoying noise of the metal guides of the pistons I applied a thin layer of two-component epoxy resin to the sides: a problem easily solved in short time with negligible expense.
    I'd love to hear more details about just how you applied the resin. Toothpick application to the sides of the brass guides? How long to dry? I definitely don't want to epoxy the valves into the horn!! Any specific two-component epoxy resin I should look for?

Nylon/Delrin guides are cheap, and an easy DIY.

DDG

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I'd love to hear more details about just how you applied the resin. Toothpick application to the sides of the brass guides? How long to dry? I definitely don't want to epoxy the valves into the horn!! Any specific two-component epoxy resin I should look for?
    Yes, a toothpick is fine, or a pin. It dries in a couple of hours and you can trim the excess with a thin blade. It is no permanent, it can be removed easily and reapplied just as easily. You have to be careful when inserting the piston, gently, otherwise it can come off. Once in place operation is guaranteed. I have applied it for about three mounts and it still ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epo1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	8730 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epo2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	8731 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epo3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	8732 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epo4.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	8733
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Nylon/Delrin guides are cheap, and an easy DIY.

DDG
    +1
    I think the nylon guides might be the better method. Franz's method may lead to pieces of epoxy inside the valve chamber if the epoxy can come off just by not inserting the valve carefully.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Below is a link to a related thread-
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.YZvPsSU8KEc

Here is one source for the nylon replacements-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NYLON-SCREW...-127635-2958-0

All of my New Standards utilize their original brass guides (tacquets) but I do not experience unacceptable levels of metal-to-metal noise. Under my ownership, I have replaced the springs and added spring dampers which keep them operating very quietly.

Here is one source for the dampers-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/350785631326
    Last edited by Shinn; 11-22-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

If you are still looking for a fourth valve finger button, I have spares, from my Sovereign-New Standard hybrid experiment.
    Nowt

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    If you are still looking for a fourth valve finger button, I have spares, from my Sovereign-New Standard hybrid experiment.
    PM sent!! Thanks! And I would love to hear about the experiment.

Public kudos to Magikarp, who declined payment for the button in lieu of a donation to the American Cancer Society! Remarkable humanitarian at exactly the right time of year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast