Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tolerant Spouses

Tolerant Spouses

It's a common theme with some brass players. Those who have a few horns are appreciative of a tolerant spouse who accepts the expense and storage ramifications. (John Morgan has often talked about how great his wife is in this regard.) But check this out - a post from Charley Brighton in England. What you see here is only a part of his flock!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3924.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	8681
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Indeed!! That IS a very nice flock of euphoniums. Now comes the silly question. Is "flock" correct? There can be a gaggle of geese, a flock of birds, a murder of crows, a pod of whales and a school of fish. What do you call a bunch of euphoniums other than a bunch of euphoniums? I think maybe a compensation of euphoniums, ja? Or maybe a fourvalvery of euphoniums, ja? Or maybe a murderous gaggle of euphoniums.

My wife was and is an absolute gem when it comes to me getting euphoniums or any instrument for that matter. Never a no in my entire marriage which is in the 5th decade. And she is the ultimate groupie, comes to every single rehearsal I have in whatever musical group, and to every performance. She also plays in one of the concert bands that I play in (she is a percussionist). I could not ask for a better wife, I am a very lucky man!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. Charley's wife plays baritone. Charley has converted his passion for vintage euphoniums into a business, servicing and restoring all kinds of horns. He is talented and patient. I have spent quite a bit of time with Charley and his collection. Couldn't meet a nicer man and Sue (his wife) is terrific too!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I’ve just received a wonderful new euphonium as a 44th wedding anniversary present.

My non-musical spouse couldn’t be more “tolerant”.

He left for yesterday’s outdoor concert before I did, to help set up seating, comes to every single concert I play in, and provides coverage when a baby sitting emergency comes up during my practice time.

In short, BEYOND tolerance!

My wife who I’ve been married to for over 50 years is also very tolerant. About eight years ago I was drooling over the Miraphone 5050 Ambassador horn but thought it was too expensive. She said, “why not go ahead and get it?” So I did. I also prefer to practice in the living room due to the vaulted ceiling and larger room where it sounds better. No problem she says.

Also like to add that Charley Brighton is indeed a really nice fellow. Many years ago we swapped emails and he sent me some music via ‘land mail’ - or over-sea mail at no cost to me.
    Last edited by RickF; 10-25-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

My wife mostly suffers in silence my practise sessions ... )

She has patiently tolerated my wandering-eye affairs with the flugel horn, Bb trumpet, short and soprano cornets, and finally... My discovery of the euphonium -- my true and forever brassy love.

Yet the whole concept of "I need to upgrade my eupho, Dear!" seems to be obscure to her, at least for the time being... I must get a lot better at playing on my Festivo, and finding adoptive Daddies for my extant murder(!) of horns before she possibly relents again to my, Ahem... Yearnings for euphonological upgrades.

(!) Note... To my non-brassophilic wife, my playing horns feels not quite as musical as the call of crows, hence my little harem of horns would be deemed but a.... Murder of horns at best *Grins!*

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 10-25-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Now comes the silly question. Is "flock" correct?
    I have never heard an actual answer to this one, but I am going to try a couple answers of my own. Five or more euphoniums (or any brass instrument) in one place is a "band" or maybe a "racket". Depending on how well they are playing together (smile/joke).

Loving all the horn candy we see in this group. - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Congratulation Ann for your 44th.... And for your new euphonium!

With apologies for my minor derailing of this delightful thread, here is a question for you Ann... What wonderful horn did you adopt at the conclusion of your quest?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

9. My wife, it turns out, is tolerant because of my euphonium habit. When I was just collecting trombones, she was tolerant as long as I didn't use household money for it (and as long as I don't play scales or exercises - those drive her crazy she says). She didn't really want to hear trombones when she was trying to watch Survivor or something. But when I started playing euphonium, that sound was mellower, and she prefers it. If I had bought 3 more trombones, she would have looked askance, but when I bought 3 euphoniums, well, that's ok with her. Maybe I can sneak a compact valve trombone in there and tell her it's a euphonium... She bought me a Yamaha Silent Brass mute for trombone (which actually works great), but no such "gift" for euph yet.
    Last edited by hyperbolica; 10-25-2021 at 01:03 PM.

This thread is too funny. When my wife and I first married she KNEW of my musical past but since I wasn't playing it didn't really hit home. My two daughters play instruments and I've always been on them to practice (all the while I had stopped playing for over 25years). My ex and I met through Church related music stuff and was fairly musical themselves. This time around having a non-musician co-parent is interesting.

When it came time this February to start playing again and after an invite to a really good brass band, I needed to buy a baritone. My wife is not musical AT ALL. Trying to explain the differences between Euphonium and Baritone was quite comical. Purchased a Dillion 3+1 non comp baritone a couple weeks ago and after playing it in practice, rehearsals and a couple concerts decided it wasn't the right horn for me and will give it to the 9yr old if she wants to play it. NOW, trying to explain why I need another baritone after buying was was an exercise in futility. In the end, I'm getting the new horn. I may be the mom in the doghouse for a few days but in the end she knows it's all for a good cause....and we won't need to buy a horn if the youngest decides to play Bari/euph. (I have a feeling my 88 Sovereign will be in my will).

Ahhh marriage.

As far as the practice? I have a dedicated practice space in my office (which is in the basement), I just have to remember not to practice during This is Us.
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast