Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How best to order an Adams?

E3, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Slightly off track but which E model would best suit for principle euphonium in a british brass band
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Agree with Mike. I haven’t played a 1 or 2 but my E3 gives the big round sound required in a brass band.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Definitely an E3 would be better than an E1 or E2 for a British Brass Band, imho.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Hi all, thanks for the input. Just chiming in to say I purchased an E3 with SS bell, and after a few weeks of playing it's clearly light years ahead of my venerable Willson 2900s purchased new in the 90s. Slotting is better, tone has more core, far fewer "bad" notes in the upper register. The only issue I'm having is that the horn is playing flat; with tuning slide all the way in I can just barely keep Bflat at top of staff in tune with good tone. But, I suspect this is mostly an embouchure/air support issue as I continue to get back into shape. I'll give it a year of solid playing and order the shorter tuning slide if I must.

Thanks!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RBailey View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the input. Just chiming in to say I purchased an E3 with SS bell, and after a few weeks of playing it's clearly light years ahead of my venerable Willson 2900s purchased new in the 90s. Slotting is better, tone has more core, far fewer "bad" notes in the upper register. The only issue I'm having is that the horn is playing flat; with tuning slide all the way in I can just barely keep Bflat at top of staff in tune with good tone. But, I suspect this is mostly an embouchure/air support issue as I continue to get back into shape. I'll give it a year of solid playing and order the shorter tuning slide if I must.

Thanks!

Rich
    I also went from the 2900S to the SS bell E3. It takes more air but allows you to put more air through the horn without restriction I notice that when my breath support is good, the intonation is superb. I also had Adams build the horn with 1/3” shorter tuning slides.

Quote Originally Posted by RBailey View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the input. Just chiming in to say I purchased an E3 with SS bell, and after a few weeks of playing it's clearly light years ahead of my venerable Willson 2900s purchased new in the 90s. Slotting is better, tone has more core, far fewer "bad" notes in the upper register. The only issue I'm having is that the horn is playing flat; with tuning slide all the way in I can just barely keep Bflat at top of staff in tune with good tone. But, I suspect this is mostly an embouchure/air support issue as I continue to get back into shape. I'll give it a year of solid playing and order the shorter tuning slide if I must.

Thanks!

Rich
    Hey Rich,

My E3 that I got in 2016 tends (tended) towards the flat side as well. I usually needed to warm up good before tuning. After having it going on 6 years, I have no intonation issues. I have the main slide out perhaps 3/4 of an inch when all warmed up. My first slide is all in, second all in (of course, or it would be falling on the floor!), third slide is out maybe a half inch, fourth slide out maybe 3/4 of an inch. These settings have been working well for me. When I play with others, no intonation issues, even when playing duets with a trombone player.

I got my E3 with a main slide tuning trigger as well. I don't use it much, but could on notes like F above the staff and others around that note. But I can easily lip those notes, so the trigger was something that I ultimately did not have to have. Still like having it though, as I have said before, it is a great conversation starter.

I do think that over time, I have settled in with this horn, and I think that has something to do with having no intonation problems today. Love, love, love this horn. After six years no less.

John
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

The shopping/choosing experience is always interesting. Gary Curtin (with Fodens in the U.K.) just switched to Adams. He had the luxury of going to the factory to try various models/options. Here is what he reported:

From his 4barsrest interview:
    "Having tested roughly 15 or so instruments of all different shapes, sizes, thicknesses and materials, I believe I have found a truly great instrument to work for me as both a band player and a soloist.

My inclination was to go with the E2 before I arrived, which is composed of a thicker metal, .80 gauge, as it's important that the instrument can endure some real fortissimo dynamics that are played by top class brass bands."
    "My final choice was an E1 .70 gauge, with heavy valve caps. The great thing about this for me was that I felt the instrument was open across all registers.

The instrument could really sing, the tuning is fantastic and all the notes, even the elusive C# above the stave is open."

Gary also revealed that he opted for a brushed antique finish with ornate engraving design.

"It has certainly gleaned some attention at the band room, online and at our first Christmas concert over the weekend,"Gary said.

Indeed, E1 .70 guage in brass with heavy caps.Thought an E2 would be my choice but this seemed to cover everything for me.
    Excited to play on it.
    Will have my personal one built in the next while.
    Here is his photo with the horn he tested, but I'm not sure if he will be opting for the engraving. (Given his serious expression, perhaps he was going for an 'Addams Family' look):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gary Curtin Adams.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	8780
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That's interesting that he settled on an E1. I would have thought that he would have thought that an E3 would handle loud dynamics better. It is nice that a really amazingly good euphonium soloist and player in a brass band has picked an Adams. Perhaps Adams is going to become more ubiquitous in the brass band world in the UK.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    That's interesting that he settled on an E1. I would have thought that he would have thought that an E3 would handle loud dynamics better.
    My thought exactly! HOWEVER, there are a number of factors, as we all know. His initial thought was that an E2 might be best. At the ITEC in Indiana (2014??) there was a guy about my age or older who wanted something that would be like his classic Besson. He chose the E2, and I have to say it did seem like the Besson is a couple ways, even though it was intended to draw from the Willson market. There was something about the "core" and weight of the sound that was similar to Bessons of old.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    ...Perhaps Adams is going to become more ubiquitous in the brass band world in the UK.
    He allowed for that possibility in his comments, saying that British players are starting to be more willing to try other brands (besides Besson). I've thought about this a couple times. If it starts to gain traction, do you suppose Miel will have to come up with a worthy baritone horn next??? That could be fun!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I recently bought an Adams Sonic, which I ordered from Baltimore Brass, a company which advertises on this site. They had to special order it from Adams because it's a new model. They were easy to do business with and I have no complaints. You might want to talk with a couple of shops, there might be a small difference in total cost to you from shipping, etc.

John
    I have also had very positive experiences when dealing with Baltimore Brass and would recommend them to anyone. best wishes!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast