Thread: FS: Custom multipurpose valve/slide trombone—the ultimate doubler’s instrument!

1. FS: Custom multipurpose valve/slide trombone—the ultimate doubler’s instrument!

For sale is a unique, custom-built large bore “tuning in the slide” trombone, that can also be configured as a “bass trombone substitute,” a “small bore trombone substitute,” or a large-bore valve trombone (that actually plays and sounds like a trombone). Please read the thread about this trombone here, for more details about the instrument, its features, and its development.

It hasn’t changed much since that write-up, except that the two “bass” bells have been replaced with a modern, large-throat 9.5” bass trombone bell. So, now there are three bells total: small tenor (7”), large tenor (8.5”), and bass (9.5”), all yellow brass.

As a large bore tenor trombone, it plays extremely well, and all of the other configurations really do work! This is the perfect doubling instrument for a euphonium or tuba player.

The sale will also include all of my trombone-related paraphernalia. Here’s a list of everything that’s included:

• .547”-.562” dual bore TIS tenor, with 8.5” Elkhart Conn style yellow brass bell, Instrument Innovations valve with open wrap, and red brass Rath bell crook. The slide will accept leadpipes with Shires OR Edwards-style threads. The slide works great, and the finish on everything is raw brass.
    • Custom large bore valve section, with tuning trigger on the first valve (again, please read the write-up for more information). This also will accept Shires or Edwards-style leadpipes, and will work with other Conn or Getzen large tenor/bass bell sections.
    • A removable, dependent second Instrument Innovations valve, that can be pitched in either E-flat or D.
    • Two additional bells: 7” yellow brass Pan American (Conn 4H stencil) and 9.5” yellow brass large-throat bass (no name).
    • Several leadpipes: Edwards T3; custom small bore leadpipe/tube; Edwards B2 and Conn 71H, both modified (shortened) to fit; and a “leadpipe-less” receiver/adapter.
    • Leather hand and neck guards
    • Neotech trombone grip, with mounts on both the slide and valve section.
    • A Conn trombone hard case; a case to fit the valve section and removable dependent valve, and two padded bags that fit the two extra bells.
    • Several tenor trombone mutes: Wick fiber straight, H&B straight (missing corks), H&B cup, H&B bucket, and Harmon.
    • Heavy-duty K&M trombone stand.
    • Miscellaneous trombone lubricants, and a cleaning rod.

This instrument is located in Edinburg, VA. I’d prefer to conduct the sale in person, for two reasons. First, it will allow me to give the new owner a tutorial on how everything goes together! Second, shipping will be very expensive, as everything will either need to go into one (very) large box or several separate (but still large) boxes. However, I will consider shipping at the buyer’s risk and expense if he/she insists on it.

Asking $2200. I’ll also consider trades (or partial trades) for a British-style baritone and/or E-flat tenor horn.

Please don’t hesitate to email with questions: funkhoss@gmail.com.

Thanks for looking!

-Funkhoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1407.JPG