Thread: Game and Film Music for the Euphonium

1. Game and Film Music for the Euphonium

Hello everyone,

I have been listening to quite a number of game and film soundtracks in recent days and it occured to me that most individuals have probably been exposed to hearing a symphony orchestra just by playing on a video game or going to the cinema to watch a film. In The United Kingdom, there has been a steady decline within the education system in giving individuals the opportunity to learn a musical instrument. I have always been interested in getting people of all ages and backgrounds enthused about music and it seems that most people can relate to music that has appeared in games or films.

Some of the top composers in the game and film industry include Hans Zimmer, Bruce Broughton, John Williams, Wilbert Roget II, Thomas Newman, Michael Giacchino, Ian Livingstone and Dominik Scherrerand most individuals would have heard a work by one of these composers at some point in their own lives.

I have always been rather curious to explore potential new commissions from these top composers and I was curious if anyone knew of any music that had been written for the Euphonium by one of these composers which is included in the list above?

I was also curious to ask a hypothetical question to generate a bit of discussion which is if Hans Zimmer was writing a new commission for the Euphonium what elements do you think he would include within this piece of music?

I am also curious to explore if it is realistic that these top game and film composers would ever consider writing a new work for the Euphonium or if this is still a step that is way in the distant future.

I look forward to exploring this interesting subject over the coming weeks ahead.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

2. Not really directly related to your question, but the TubaPeter.com site has a lot of game and film music arranged for bass clef valve instruments. Might be entertaining while you're waiting for a more direct response. http://tubapeter.com/

Micah,
    Bruce Broughton wrote a piece for euphonium called "Tent Meeting Revival". I think it is really enjoyable to listen to.

4. Hello everyone,

I first of all wanted to say thank you to Hyperbolica for the link to www.TubaPeter.com. This website is an amazing resource!

I absolutely love the music of Bruce Broughton and I have heard 'Tent Meeting Revival' a number of times now. I really hope that we will get some more music written for the Euphonium by Bruce Broughton in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah