Thread: Is tuning in Austria: A=443?

Is tuning in Austria: A=443?

I host listening files for our band so members are able to practice at home or play along. Our band is rehearsing "An der schönen blauen Donau" (The Beautiful Blue Danube) by Johnann Strauss II. Our music was transcribe by Hans Kliment. Our MD wants to emulate André Rieu and his orchestra's interpretation of this gorgeous piece with lots of slow parts or lots of 'smaltzing'. André Rieu and his orchestra have an excellent recording on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDaJ7rFg66A

I'm used to having to transpose sound files of orchestra samples using Audacity, but couldn't figure out how to get it right. I tried 4 half steps, 5 half steps etc. It never sounded right. Another band member was able to get it transposed to our pitch (A=440) using a different program. He told me he had to lower it 4 half steps then lower it another 12 cents to get it right. I can't do that with Audacity as far as I know. Seems like orchestras in Austria must tune to A=443. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I don't know for sure, but it has been a trend in European orchestras to play at A=442 and sometimes higher for the past ten years or so, so it makes sense.
    --
    Barry

You're attempting to be too heavy handed, my friend! Fortunately, in the new version of Audacity (I'm not sure when this feature was added in this form, though) you can choose several methods to adjust pitch. They are all interactive, so if you choose one, the others change too. Here is how I would do it, using the CHANGE PITCH control.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pitch 443 to 440.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	8595
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Addendum: I have played with this and never found a need to use the high-quality setting (checkbox in lower-left corner).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave! I think I need to update my Audacity app. Don't see that in my version.

Thanks to you too Barry.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)