Thread: Inquiry: Stauffer Fifth Valve for Yamaha 321

1. Inquiry: Stauffer Fifth Valve for Yamaha 321

I'm sure many of you guys remember these. They always seemed to have been available only intermittently and now not at all, evidently.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/st...-321-euphonium

Anyway, if anyone has or knows of one and might be willing to part with it, I have a student who may be interested. Thank you.

I was just telling a student about these. I'm sorry to hear they are no longer being made. Perhaps one could be manufactured by a skilled repair tech?

Robert Pendergast, DM

Is this a patent concern? If so it would seem that the holder of the patent could sell enough of these to make it worth h/h while.

if not a patent issue, why isn’t somebody making them?

Edited to add- If someone is selling an old 321 with a fifth valve, please pm me.
    Last edited by ann reid; 09-14-2021 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    Is this a patent concern? If so it would seem that the holder of the patent could sell enough of these to make it worth h/h while.

if not a patent issue, why isn’t somebody making them?
    I doubt it's patentable as removable valves have been made for brass instruments since the 19th century. Nevertheless, the Stauffer/Hornguys valve is just a copy of what yamaha used to make. I suspect Hornguys had them made at Kanstul which is now gone, which is why it's no longer available. I think it probably does not sell well enough to make it worth their while to find another manufacturing partner.
    --
    Barry

Don't know about patent. But as I recall the HornGuys sold their for around $750. Given the limited market, I'm not sure you could sell them at that price and make a profit.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium