Thread: Dave Werden Playing Hejre Kati (Mendez) with USCG Band in 1985

Dave Werden Playing Hejre Kati (Mendez) with USCG Band in 1985

From my archives, here is a performance of me playing the Mendez favorite "Hejre Kati". It is from 1985, and it gives me a new goal in my practice: trying to get back to the double-tongue speed I could do then! The first hurdle is to get my tongue's muscle and speed back up. But along with that, one has to balance putting enough air past the tongue to get a pitch along with the percussive attack. I've heard a few players (some at the top of the heap) where I could hear the fast tongue but could not hear any pitch. On this recording I think I got some pitch with each. In any case, it felt like I was pushing it just as far as I could without losing pitch. As for whether I can that speed back today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVCDkD0NAk

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Really terrific playing, Dave! Along with the great double tonguing, I loved the expressiveness of the playing of the opening slow melody and the way you got the notes in the fast slurs to pop as you played them. And of course, the classic Besson sound, which has never been improved upon.

John

3. David,

I remember driving down to New London/Groton to take lessons from you just about during this time. At that time I had a 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son. They are now 41 and 38! It is a delight to listen to this recording! Man this is CLEAN!!! Beautiful job.

Doug Ruby
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

What superb playing Dave! Sweet sound and technically perfect to my ears. Yes, there’s something about that classic Besson sound that we don’t hear as much any more.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks for the comments! The sound of horn was very nice in almost all situations (except for small chamber settings). The British Bessons had amazing sound, and I am still not quite sure why!!! It probably had something to do with both the weight of the metal and perhaps the alloy & the way it was seasoned.

At this time I was probably using either my Bach 5G or a Wick 4BL, which helped with the clarity. This is one reason I am again thinking about the combination of a large horn with a not-so-large mouthpiece (hence my move to the DC4 recently).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Very, very nice playing Dave!! That was a really superb performance. And you helped me remember this piece. I was trying to remember what it was and sang some of it to my trumpet friends, but no one recognized it, probably because I was singing it so badly. Thanks for this amazing piece of music. You absolutely rock, Dave!!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)