Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compensating Slide Moisture on FRONT-Valve Horns

Compensating Slide Moisture on FRONT-Valve Horns

Hello Chris, on my Wessex Festivo, water keys on the 4th slide and on the small fixed elbo tubing (sorry, do not know the name of this small part)above the 4th slide to be very useful for draining moisture.... Hope EU5500 will also feature such water keys.

Can all compensating loops be adjusted for tuning, and be removed to drain condensation?

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 09-01-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

2. I appreciate the feedback, Guido! Right now on the compensating side only the 3rd slide can be removed. We’ve found there to be no drainage issue with the others. Thanks!

Hi Chris, glad to hear that....

Reason for asking was that, my Festivo being of the horizontal pistons persuasion, and its 1st valve compensating loop pointing downwards, this little comp loop is an enthusiastic moisture receptacle, hence it is removable... I drain the little 1st valve comp loop every 30 minutes of practice, lest the eupho starts gargling oh so charmingly.... Just a wee bit, that is

G.

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi Chris, glad to hear that....

Reason for asking was that, my Festivo being of the horizontal pistons persuasion, and its 1st valve compensating loop pointing downwards, this little comp loop is an enthusiastic moisture receptacle, hence it is removable... I drain the little 1st valve comp loop every 30 minutes of practice, lest the eupho starts gargling oh so charmingly.... Just a wee bit, that is

G.
    FWIW, I have NEVER had to drain my compensating loop slides, going back to college. That covers several Bessons, Sterlings, and now Adams. During those many years I have played in cool, humid situations where water was collecting like it had a direct line to the faucet, but I only had to dump the main slide and 4 primary tuning slides.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

My Festivo is definitely.... Special

G.

6. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    FWIW, I have NEVER had to drain my compensating loop slides, going back to college. That covers several Bessons, Sterlings, and now Adams. During those many years I have played in cool, humid situations where water was collecting like it had a direct line to the faucet, but I only had to dump the main slide and 4 primary tuning slides.
    Same here. The 1st and 2nd valve compensating loops will dump their water BACK into the 4th valve loop when using 1-4 and 2-4 combinations. The third valve comp slide may accumulate a little bit of water, but it is larger in diameter and less likely to gurgle. Also, the third valve loop is usually pointed downward when the horn sits at rest cross-wise on your lap. Again dumping water downhill.

All of these observations are justifications for a good water key arrangement on the 4th valve slide (or a quick pull and dump).

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Deleted redundant post.

G.
    Last edited by guidocorona; 09-02-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Thank you Dave for moving the discussion on comp loop moisture here.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of other owners of the Wessex Festivo and similar front valvers with moisture accumulation in the compensating loops.... And in the 1st valve comp loop in particular.

Regards, Guido

Out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that this only collects water when you do a lot of playing using 1+4 (and possible including 2/3)? I would also assume that you would only hear gurgling when playing with the same valve combinations.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

10. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Thank you Dave for moving the discussion on comp loop moisture here.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of other owners of the Wessex Festivo and similar front valvers with moisture accumulation in the compensating loops.... And in the 1st valve comp loop in particular.

Regards, Guido
    I've never or rarely (once or twice) had to dump anything that wasn't accessible via a water key in the 2 years I've owned my Festivo. I don't play it daily, and I usually play 30-50 minutes at a time, mostly in air conditioned space, but not always. As a trombone player, I struggle with more than one spit valve at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast