Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3+1 Comp. Small Bore Besson

1. 3+1 Comp. Small Bore Besson

Hi All,
    A few weeks ago I picked up a rather neat little horn and I thought I’d share. It’s a Besson with a serial number placing it in the late 60’s. It has a detachable front-facing bell which I’ve never seen on an intermediate horn before. It is takes a small shank mouthpiece (no signs of an altered leadpipe and yes, I have tried to fit in a euro-width Besson mouthpiece). It’s a bright little horn with ridiculous range (having a full compensated range along with allowing me to hit my first ever A5 the first time I tried it is just silly). I’m super excited to get some use out of it during marches and such!

Edit: I forgot to mention that one person who recognized the model said this is a horn Besson tried out in order to try and enter the American market before the Americans started smuggling over New Standards and doing that job for them. I don’t know if there’s any truth to that, but I find the idea interesting.

[Removed a non-working link. DW]

Jarod Quigley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1340259-CCD5-4743-BC16-1EDB53FA6A12.jpeg   F7EC7ED0-56F7-48AF-A638-BF3AA7912DF7.jpeg   592BF40E-3BB2-4CF9-BE05-1E8D120A37AC.jpeg  
    Last edited by Rockringer; 09-02-2021 at 08:54 AM.

2. Pictures!!
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I tried the link (a bit.ly compressed URL) and got an odd error message so I have deleted that link. Please try again, and perhaps try using the full link. Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. I think I got it now. Sorry about that. It’s my first post on the forum, so I’m still figuring some stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockringer View Post
    I think I got it now. Sorry about that. It’s my first post on the forum, so I’m still figuring some stuff out.
    Yep - that worked! I've seen horns like this quite a bit, and have played a couple along the way (briefly at display booths), but they were all for use with a medium shank, if I remember correctly. But I know that Besson was trying a few things to break into the American education market, so I suppose they could have tried a small shank receiver (that's what most "school horns" used at the time).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. I agree with Dave. These horns (which I played as well) shipped with a medium-to-small shank adapter and an absolutely horrid Besson 10 medium shank mouthpiece. I used the adapter and my Bach 6 1/2 AL. There isn't perchance an adapter stuck in the receiver? Any signs that the receiver might have been replaced?
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    I agree with Dave. These horns (which I played as well) shipped with a medium-to-small shank adapter and an absolutely horrid Besson 10 medium shank mouthpiece. I used the adapter and my Bach 6 1/2 AL. There isn't perchance an adapter stuck in the receiver? Any signs that the receiver might have been replaced?
    The normal receiver has an end piece that is convex (rounded) all the way to the end. The adaptor that came with my old Besson fit nearly flush with the end of the receiver, but it added a narrow knurled ridge. What does your receiver look like at the end?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

8. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    I agree with Dave. These horns (which I played as well) shipped with a medium-to-small shank adapter and an absolutely horrid Besson 10 medium shank mouthpiece. I used the adapter and my Bach 6 1/2 AL. There isn't perchance an adapter stuck in the receiver? Any signs that the receiver might have been replaced?
    I know the type of terrible adapters you’re talking about, and no, there isn’t one stuck in the end of the horn. I also looked at the leadpipe for signs of resoldering or different metal in the area, but it seems to all be original. When I get the chance, I can add pictures of the leadpipe opening as well as the major connection points on the leadpipe.

Appears to be a Besson Model 180. Here is a link to sheets from a 1958 Besson Catalogue - refer to image 18. Besson Page 16 and image 19. Besson Page 17.

https://yorkmaster.org/yorkmaster/ph...mpo/index.html
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

10. I did some more digging, and it looks like the mouthpiece receiver was indeed replaced. So while it’s likely a one-of-a-kind horn now, it will definitely be more difficult for me to sell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast