Thread: Gregson's Tuba Concerto

Gregson's Tuba Concerto

The “President’s Own” U.S. Marine Band held a concert yesterday where Landres Bryant played Gregson’s Tuba Concerto (Allegro mvt). Landres is from my home town here in West Palm Beach, FL. Landres got his BA in tuba performance at Michigan and his Master’s in performance at Yale.
    About 18 years ago, when I played in the Palm Beach Garden’s Comm Band, I sat next to Fred Dart. To my right was Landres on tuba (I think Landres was a H.S. sophomore then). Great tone and I remember hearing him hitting 7 octaves of B flats warming up.

Direct link to Gregson's Concerto (Allegro deciso):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-fgILOytA&t=1170s

Enjoy.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-31-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Gotta love that face!

I like to watch how a brass player's face (and body) moves while they play. I particularly enjoyed that this video spent so much time "watching" the soloist so that I could see all I wanted of that. A great piece of music and an enjoyable performance to watch/listen to!

Now all I am wondering is where our friend Alex (euphonium) was during the performance. I did not see him in the ensemble when the camera pulled out to do group shots.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

That was very nice. Thanks for posting.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba