Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for face masks.

Recommendations for face masks.

Any recommendation for face masks? Our conductor bought masks, but while they might work for trumpet etc., they don't work well for euphonium. The hole is too small and the mask keeps getting under the mouthpiece.

Thanks,

Mike

I have had no luck with the masks that have a hole and a flap or the one that has a zipper. But I have a large head (and nose) so that can stretch a mask a bit.

I have not yet tried one that I see some of my low brass friends use but I want to. It has an overlapped flap, rather like men's briefs.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    [snip]I have not yet tried one that I see some of my low brass friends use but I want to. It has an overlapped flap, rather like men's briefs.
    Dave, can you point me to that brand? I've got to get a mask for upcoming orchestra season (something that'll be comfortable to wear while the trombone section has an 85 bar rest until it gets to play another half note).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

It's been hard for me to track one down, so I don't have one yet. There is a good chat about it on a trombone forum here:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=18826

It includes a link to the Selmer-Conn mask, which seems to be the right idea.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here is my Tuba player friend plays

https://www.grothmusic.com/p-80226.a...UaAqjbEALw_wcB
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I have had no luck with the masks that have a hole and a flap or the one that has a zipper. But I have a large head (and nose) so that can stretch a mask a bit.

I have not yet tried one that I see some of my low brass friends use but I want to. It has an overlapped flap, rather like men's briefs.
    This is the type that out conductor purchased. Found it hard to use. It's difficult to get the mouthpiece throughout the flap and the flap has a tendency to get between the mouthpiece and lip when you pull the mouthpiece away. I always play with the mouthpiece offset from center, so I am constantly pulling the mask off. Some this could be fit issues, as the mask seem quite small.

Mike

Our band is requiring us to mask up when we’re not playing rather than use a mask with an opening. Besides getting the mpc in the opening it would be difficult to catch a breath when playing I fear.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Our band is requiring us to mask up when we’re not playing rather than use a mask with an opening. Besides getting the mpc in the opening it would be difficult to catch a breath when playing I fear.
    Now how does that work exactly? Wear a mask if you have no part (tacet) for a particular piece? Wear a mask during extended rests in a piece? Wear your mask in between pieces?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Well, we're supposed to pull it down to play and pull it back up when we have extended rests. We just had our first rehearsal last Monday night. Evidently all of us weren't doing a great job because our band president sent out an email reminding us how we should do it.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, I am from South Dakota, and I know you all have heard about South Dakota's approach to COVID, masks, etc. Linda and I are vaccinated, and we don't plan to play, then pull our masks back up on our face and then move them down and then move them up and then move them down, etc. Which would require me to park my horn in the stand every time I quit playing for a while, then move the mask up, count rests, then move the mask down, then pick up my horn, then play, then put down my horn in the stand, then pull up my mask, etc. And I suppose you have to hold your breath while you are in between any of these maneuvers. I would not attend band if we were required to go through that drill. Certainly no disrespect intended for any who are doing the procedure above (that may be your only recourse), but it is just entirely not for me, or Linda, or 95% of the people in the bands we play in. We either play somewhat normally, or we don't play at all.

Our New Horizons Band and Rapid City Municipal Band played all summer in normal rehearsal mode (inside in a band room or a small gym) and concert mode, and there were no problems that I am aware of.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast