Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mack Brass EU5500 (ZO)

1. Mack Brass EU5500 (ZO)

Has anyone had any experience with the EU5500 offered by Mack Brass? https://mackbrass.com/eu5500-compensating-euph

Looks like it is manufactured by ZO. I'm looking to buy a new euphonium and willing to spend in the $3-4,000 range. I've heard good things about the cheaper EU1150S from Mack Brass and this looks like it may be their answer to the Wessex Sinfonico price point. Anyone know how the EU5500 and Sinfonico may compare?
    Last edited by eufony2; 08-27-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Welcome to the forum!

From the specs and description I would say it is NOT similar to the Sinfonico. This one appears to be copying the idea of a Miraphone 5050, at least as far as the bell size goes. The bore is more like the other pro euphoniums, around .590, but the Mack Brass model here is .610.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

From posted specs, EU550 might be partially outsizing the Miraphone M5050 by a smidgeon. M5050 features a 12.205" bell, and bore ranging from 0.610" to 0.638". Conversely, the Mackbrass EU550 posts a slightly larger bell at 12.3", and a slightly more flairing bore ranging from 0.590" to 0.661".

Does EU5500 perhaps aim to pattern its tone on M5050? The published specs might suggest that this might be the case... Yet, without trying out this horn, or at least listening to some well recorded youtubes, it's impossible to tell anything about EU5500's actual performance.

Considering that EU550 features a trigger on the main slide, its list price of $3595 is inline with Sinfonico's $3250.

What is missing in the specs, is whether EU550 is manufactured by hand from sheet metal like Sinfonico or not.

Any evidence of its construction quality and performance potential inevitably rests in the proverbial pudding. It would be fascinating to hear EU5500 strutting its musical prowess. I for one have added this eupho to the horns to playtest at ITEC 2023.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 08-28-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    [snip]Does EU5500 perhaps aim to emulate the tone of M5050? The published specs might suggest that this might be the case... Yet, without trying out this horn, or at least listening to some well recorded youtubes, it's impossible to tell anything about EU5500's actual performance.[snip]
    Has anyone asked the people at Mack Brass? I always found them responsive to questions.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Excellent idea, Dean.... I intend to call MackBrass this week. Questions that immediately come to mind are:

* Constructed from sheet metal?
    * Hand-hammered bell?
    * overall hand-crafted or assembly-line construction?
    * Alloy for bell, receiver, other parts.
    * Bell thickness?
    * Water keys... Count, where?
    * Tone patterned on M5050, other?
    * Any demonstration videos anywhere?
    * Availability?

Please post here any other questions that I should relate to Mr. McGrady.

Regards, Guido

[snip]Please post here any other questions that I should relate to Mr. McGrady. [snip]
    The photo shows a trigger but it's not mentioned in the specs. Is it only available with a trigger?

As an aside, I see that the EU5500 comes with stainless steel pistons. When I got my EU1150S, it came with stainless steel pistons but now the spec page shows that it comes with monel pistons.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Hello Dean, actually, the product description does assert that EU5500 does sport "a main tuning slide adjustment lever, ". Per my conversation with Chris Lair, this is a spring loaded lever/trigger.

And yes, apparently the horn can be ordered without trigger. For pricing of the horn without trigger, you may want to contact Chris directly:

Christopher Lair -- Operations Manager
    804-924-5184
    lairchris@mackbrass.com

As for Monel vs Stainless steel pistons on EU1150, Chris has confirmed that currently EU1150 is equipped with Monel pistons.

Note that I have gathered further interesting info on EU5500 during my chat with Chris.... I will turn my scribblings into complete sentences, and then will post them here.... Might take me a few hours, though.

Regards, Guido

8. Hi everyone, and thank you Guido! Thanks for asking about the new ZO euphonium at Mack Brass! I hope it's OK to respond here. To answer a few of the questions I've seen posted here, this euph is handmade from sheet metal. The bore is .590-.660. It is an original design, but in the early days the Willson 2950 was influential. We've been working on this for a couple years, and I'm very proud of the work the craftsmen at ZO have produced. It is available without the MTS trigger, but we usually order them with the trigger attached as most of our customers have requested. We do hope to have a demo video available for you soon, and possibly some other media and details. With any other questions, please feel free to contact me any time at 804-924-5184 or lairchris@mackbrass.com. www.mackbrass.com. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Lair View Post
    [snip]Thanks for asking about the new ZO euphonium at Mack Brass! [snip]
    Thanks for joining in, Chris.

For what it's worth, the ZO website shows various models of euphonium and notably does not include the EU5500. For purposes of comparison, the Jin Bao web site has long featured the 1150, which is available from a number of retailers. This makes me think the EU5500 might currently be exclusive to Mack Brass.
    Dean L. Surkin

Hello Dean, actually, the product description does assert that EU5500 does sport "a main tuning slide adjustment lever, ". [snip]
    Thanks, Guido. I was taking a quick look while on a break from work and I missed it.
    Dean L. Surkin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast