Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomahawk
    • Dec 2017

Been looking to upgrade to a more modern euphonium and have heard a lot of good stuff about Mack Brass on this forum. Got pointed to them from my instrument repair guy and started the research. Come to find out they are close to my location. Had looked and played the 1150 several months ago and was seriously considering it at the time. Wanted one more look before placing an order. Chris had the final version of the 5500 available so I did a brief side by side by side demo ( had my old horn in the trunk of my car). Very impressed with the 5500. What won me over was the sound the 5500 produced. Valve operation was what I wanted to see, the horn resonated well. Had great control of dynamics. Notes slotted well for me. So placed a deposit down on the 5500. Chris was fantastic to work with and we talked about the horn and the progress to get it to this level. Oh and the engraving on the bell is fantastic. Yes it was more money than I planned on spending but after my demo, believe well worth the price difference for any serious euphoniumist and will be able to do anything with it I can master. Already thinking of how it will sound with some of the music I am working on now!

Comment

• guidocorona
      • Jun 2018

Hello Tomahawk, this is exciting!

When will you be taking delivery of your 5500? I know that Chris was expecting a shipment to be arriving at MackBrass just around this time.... Or perhaps you have order a custom finish and will have to wait for a spell for your unit to be built?

Can you tell us a bit more about 5500's tone across the range? .... It is after all the euphonium with the largest bell flair that I have found, at least nominally so.

I hope that when you take delivery of your unit you will post a good video putting it through its paces

Regards, guido
      M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
      Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
      Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• Pat
        • Dec 2008

Great to have new euphonium options!
        Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

Working...
        X