Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance/Opinions on giving a baritone a try?

Guidance/Opinions on giving a baritone a try?

Ever since wearing out my original plastic euphonium/baritone, I’ve searched for an instrument that I could play comfortably with my set of aging arms and fingers.

So far the instruments that have worked best for me have been a Wessex Duplex and my cherished Conn 24i.

As I was looking over some music examples recently, the thought occurred to me that when I began playing I had for some reason I can’t remember, gone directly from plastic to a Wessex Festivo, and never gave a true baritone a try. After listening to some YouTube soloists, I find the sound of the baritone appealing, and the weight might be better for me ergonomically.

I’d be interested in any thoughts euphonium/baritone doublers might have about the ergonomics of the 2 horns, and also whether I should attempt to rent a 3 valve or 4 valve baritone and also compensated or uncompensated for a trial.

Also possibly thoughts on favored brands and models of baritones.

Looking forward to your ideas.

2. My foray into baritone happened because a local brass band needed "a true English baritone." I started looking. I remembered Bente Illevold plays an Eastman 311 which is termed a student model. Looking around, these are often rented. I decided if it is good enough for her, it was good enough for me. Three valves. Non comp. I found one for around $500. Very good condition. Since I got it, I just love playing it. Light and very easy to play with a very pleasing sound. Intonation isn't perfect but manageable.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Where are you located?

I just saw a Baltimore Brass post on facebook with a few baritones in the background.

They have a Conn 24i listed: https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.co...baritones.aspx
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I find baritone to be quite a bit more difficult to play than euphonium. The idea about the baritone sound is it's a different vowel sound than euphonium. Whereas euphonium is a big OHHH baritone is more of an AHH or IHH timbre. What makes it difficult is that it's just so much more direct. Euphonium tends to kind of even out any embouchure issues you're having. The level of resistance makes it easy to make attacks and slurs. Baritone, you're much more hanging out there on your own.

I would absolutely do 3-valve compensating. 4-valve instruments are nice for borrowing euphonium literature to play, but they really just don't resonate and project the way 3-valve instruments do. I used to be a proponent of the 4-valve instrument but I've seen the light. That extra weight and bracing just ruins the instrument. And non-compensating 3-valve instruments have intonation issues and are really just student instruments, unless it also has a tuning trigger. There's a guy that has a courtois for sale here on the forum that looks like a good deal.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...422#post158422
    Last edited by bbocaner; 08-24-2021 at 02:48 PM.
    --
    Barry

The Wessex BR140 3-valve compensated baritone in gold lacquer is very reasonably priced at $850. See:

https://us.wessex-tubas.com/collecti...nt=42508779725

Sorry, I have not tested BR140.... But if my Wessex Festivo+DC4 were any indication of potential, the pairing with an Alliance DC5 mouthpiece for baritone might make this little bari quite a delish little horn. DC5 shows as out of stock at Dillon Music.... But a little while ago Matt Walters at Dillon had indicated that he had located a DC5 for baritone hidden away that they could sell with a discount.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 08-25-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I like the BR140 a lot! A couple of minor intonation issues, but no worse than the besson, which is the benchmark.

I do not like the alliance baritone mouthpieces. Too deep -- baritone mouthpieces for euphonium players. Can't beat a plain Wick 6BS
    --
    Barry

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    I find baritone to be quite a bit more difficult to play than euphonium. The idea about the baritone sound is it's a different vowel sound than euphonium. Whereas euphonium is a big OHHH baritone is more of an AHH or IHH timbre. What makes it difficult is that it's just so much more direct. Euphonium tends to kind of even out any embouchure issues you're having. The level of resistance makes it easy to make attacks and slurs. Baritone, you're much more hanging out there on your own.

I would absolutely do 3-valve compensating. 4-valve instruments are nice for borrowing euphonium literature to play, but they really just don't resonate and project the way 3-valve instruments do. I used to be a proponent of the 4-valve instrument but I've seen the light. That extra weight and bracing just ruins the instrument. And non-compensating 3-valve instruments have intonation issues and are really just student instruments, unless it also has a tuning trigger. There's a guy that has a courtois for sale here on the forum that looks like a good deal.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...422#post158422
    Thank you for the kind recommendation, Barry!

Kindly,
    Jose
    Some stuff

BR140 Baritones are great!

I will second this motion. You know that you at least "like" and can trust the Wessex brand of instruments, as evidenced by your experience with their euphoniums. Stick with that (smile).

Personally, I have the JinBao JBBR1240, a sister horn to the Wessex BR140. It is built in the same factory in China and is the horn Wessex improved on to make theirs. They are clones/stencils. It is available from a few different retailers on Ebay for $600 to $900 USD. I had no trouble getting mine, even though it literally had to be shipped from China. One suggestion I would make is to tell you to get the silver finish or the traditional lacquered brass. I got the nickel silver finish and it has not stayed as pretty/shiny as I would like. No issues with the horn itself, just a bit of cosmetic appeal. That may add to the bottom line, but will be worth it in my opinion. There are one or two other forum members with this particular horn (the JBBR1240).

I also second the motion that whichever brand and model you go with, be sure to get a three valve compensator. They are a superior instrument. I would agree that uncompensated horns are more of a student model. After all, your euph is compensated, why not make it a "family"?

- Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 08-25-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

I just checked the BR140 page on the Wessex web site. The gold lacquer version of BR140 is currently out of stock. Conversely, there is 1 unit available in Silver Plate, priced at $985.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 08-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

10. If you are still looking for a baritone, I'm selling my Eastman. I decided that driving 1.5 hours each way for a band practice was going to be too much. Here's Bente Illevold playing hers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1U8DRTBG0

And here's my ad on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224590140910
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast