Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How are your instruments holding up?

A brief rundown on each, without photos:

Adams E2 - bought new in 2017, this horn has held up well with regular playing. A small ding in the bottom bow that occurred while cleaning it about 3 months ago. No effect on playing. This horn has an 0.80 mm brass thickness with silver plate, so it rivals the Bessons and Booseys of old -- those horns are tanks and it takes a lot to bang them up. Very happy with the horn -- still running the original valve felts, thought I did order a set of Mead springs as the original springs aren't quite as springy as I'd like them. When those springs come in, I think I'm going to get replacement felts regulated with them -- I have the felts ready to go.

Edwards bass trombone -- Some wear on the hand slide in the usual spots, but I had the horn chemically cleaned about 10 months ago. No red rot, though I thought there might be some developing. Hand slide still silky smooth. No dents in the bell section.

Kanstul 33T tuba -- this horn was worked on by Lee Stofer to shorten it slightly and some extra tubing was excised with the expected scarring. No big deal. The horn plays nicely for me, in tune with itself, and while I don't want to play tuba regularly, I do on occasion. This horn will be around longer than I will be.

Boosey & Co Imperial euph -- again worked on by Lee Stofer to shorten it and while the re-done silver plating isn't the best from Anderson after Lee did his magic, it's adequate. I LOVE this horn and play it when I need a more compact sound. It sings wonderfully.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Some people sell their cars when the ash trays fill up.

I buy a new euphonium when the valve guides get a bit loose on the one I have.

I'll sit down later & figure out how many I've owned over the years.

I'll say this: I have made much more money playing a Yamaha 321 (mostly playing horn parts in a brass quintet) than I have playing any compensating instrument.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 01-25-2023 at 08:04 PM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    I buy a new euphonium when the valve guides get a bit loose on the one I have.
    How long have you owned the Q41? Have you done a review here on it?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

4. Well, It seems I have owned a few professional euphoniums, but not so awful many. I have owned a few vintage euphoniums (Conn 24i/25i, Holton DB, Yamaha YEP-201, etc.), baritones (SA Triumphonic, Sterling Virtuoso, Vintage York Bb Tenor Horn) and played dozens of other instruments either informally or as part of formal evaluations. By my count, in the 42 years since 1980, I have owned just 5 pro quality horns.

My first euphonium of my own was a 1980 Besson 967 (lacquer). Prior to that I had used school horns or an old (1932) Pan American 56I baritone that was written off of my Dad's middle school band inventory.. My next was a 2007 Besson 2051-2 Prestige which replaced the 967. This was followed by a 2009 Sterling Virtuoso which I still own. Then in late 2012, I purchased a used 2002 Besson 967-2 as a replacement for the Prestige which was sold. In early 2017, the 967 (upgraded to Prestige standard minus the trigger) was traded in when I purchased my Adams E3 Prototype.

As of today, I own the 2009 Sterling Virtuoso and my 2016 Adams E3. These two horns are unique in that I purchased both from the US distributors (Custom Music and Austin Custom Brass) with direct support from the factory and their owners, Paul Riggett and Miel Adams. My answer to how these horns have held up has a lot to do with the direct support I have received during my 10 summer trips to the UK and Europe since 2008. I have been able to get minor and major repairs and upgrades on both horns during these factory visits. When unable to get to Europe, I have had emergency repairs done by Osmun Music in Acton, MA. I do 90% of the normal service on these horns including cleaning, polishing, felt replacement, and regular thorough cleaning of the debris buildup on the pistons, internal tubing, and particularly leadpipe and tuning slide. I use Osmun about once every 3 years for a chem clean and they regularly (every 12 mos) will replace water key corks.

As a result, my experience with both horns is that they are both in superlative condition, have held up well, and play at what I believe is the top level of their respective marque based on my own unique needs/modifications. However, I have had some significant necessary repairs done including:

1. Sterling - replaced receiver due to improper taper of original receiver.
    2. Sterling - Redo the belly pan mounts due to improper fitment (this was the first Virtuoso to use a Besson-style belly pan as a tuning slide guard)
    3. Sterling - Re-solder both ends of the false grip when it came unsoldered. Done by Osmun on an emergency basis.
    4. Sterling - Re-solder the trigger pivot due to parts breaking. Done by Osmun twice and then redone entirely by Sterling.
    5. Sterling - Straighten out a minor bell dent at the leadpipe mount done at factory
    6. Adams - Re-solder one end of the false grip when it came unsoldered. Done by Osmun on an emergency basis.
    7. Adams - Replace the original bell and leadpipe as part of a scheduled upgrade (done at factory after I dropped the horn off)
    8. Adams - Repair some corrosion in the brass tubing (under the lacquer) and relacquer the horn after the bell replacement above.

While much of the work above could be done at a local shop, some of it depended on direct contact with the factory. I have been absolutely pleased with both horns and they get a lot of use, though going forward, the Adams will be my primary. Both horns have held up well, particularly the Sterling which has been subject to substantial travel to Europe and cross-country from coast-t-coast here in the US.

I might also add that once delivered to me, neither horn has seen its original case. Both have been used with a Cronkhite gig bag 100% of the time.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 01-26-2023 at 11:50 AM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234