Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jharris
    • Jun 2021

I am loving all the responses so far, very illuminating!

Comment

• anadmai
      • Mar 2022

I have 5 major instruments. Two euphoniums, two baritones and one trombone.

My first euphonium was $125.00 in 1986. I was 14 years old, switching from cornet two years earlier. It's a Henry Distin, made in 1906. I came with everything. Case, horn, mouthpiece, lyre and a weird piece which lengthened the horn. The intonation was horrible. I think this is from the LP/HP switchover days. I played this for a few years, winning my first soloist competition at age 15. I was told at that age, my sounded reminded someone of Major Thomas V. Mack from the New York Staff Band (I complement I still hold very dear to this day). I still have this horn an all the parts.

As my ability progressed, I was told I should invest in a better horn. I had borrowed a SA Trumphonic Euphonium for a year until I wore it out. (the fourth valve basically gave him through the casing). I was 16 and my parents offered me a choice. A horn or a car. I played the longest odds possible. If I asked for a car, I'd never get the horn I'd want. If I asked for a horn, they'd eventually tire or driving me around and would have to break down and get me a cheap car. The odds were in my favor. My parents bought me a brand new Besson Sovereign 967. Almost 35 years later, I still have this horn and it is love of my life. According to Matt at Dillon's, it's the best looking antique he's ever seen. One of the reasons why it's in such good shape is I walked away from playing starting in 1995 and didn't seriously pick up the horn until 2022.

I'm not sure how I ended up with this horn in my possession, but I own a 1952 Boosey and Hawkes trombone. It has L.P. stamped on the bell. the Top has their Globe and Music note and it's gorgeous. I dont play it often, but I would never think of parting with it.

Back in May of this year, I was asked to join the Lancaster British Brass Band. I happened to be in the right place at the right time when their 2nd baritone player decided to retire. I needed a baritone and since I hadn't purchased a new horn in over 30 years I had no idea how much junk is out there. OMG. I ended up paying $500 for a 4v non-compensating baritone from Dillons. Did not like it. I don't like lacquer and the brass was thin. This horn is now in the possession of my 10yr old daughter who is learning how to play in school. (She's learning Treble Clef because I won't let the school teach her bass clef...she already plays cello so she knows how to read BC.. I want her to learn brass on TC).

In July of this year, I bought a 2015 Sterling Virtuoso baritone from the one and only Mr Doug on this forum. I drove over 15 hours round trip to pick up this horn in person. It's a British made horn and I am over the moon with it. Interesting fact, I paid $1300 more for this baritone USED than I did for my 967 NEW! The horn reminds me of the Besson Sovereign baritone I played when I was in the New York Staff Band. I'd give a boob for that horn back.

That's all I have for now. I'll try to remember to post pictures of the family.
      Last edited by anadmai; 01-20-2023, 07:57 AM.
      DANA

Meet the Family
      Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
      Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
      Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
      Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
      Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
      Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
      Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• TheJH
        • Dec 2014

For my two personally owned instruments:
        '79 B&H Sovereign: Bought this instrument for only 1500€ when I was... 18, I think, so 8 to 9 years ago. Original case and mouthpiece included. In those years, not a lot has happened to it. It has some dents, mainly in the bell flare that, looking at the shape, were probably caused by the mouthpiece falling out of the in-case compartiment. One valve guide has been replaced with a nylon one. Other than that, just some silver plate wear. first valve casing at the place where the thumb rests, fourth valve slide, second valve tuning slide and the ends of the first valve slide bend. Also the worn valves you've seen me talk about ad nauseam in the past months, but when applying vintage valve oil in combination with a warmed-up instrument, it still plays like an absolute dream. The water gutter is also really worn out and leaks to hell and back, but since those are not available anymore afaik, I'll just have to put up with it. So overall no worrying big defects that can't be fixed.

My Willson 2960TA: Got this one second-hand when I was 17 I think? So almost 10 years in my posession. Don't know the manufacturing date but I estimate it's from the mid-2000s Little bit of silver plate wear on the first valve casing and the underside of the handguard (aka the usual positions). Everything else is still in great condition, except the rubber spring dampers on the bottom valve caps and the bottom of the valves, which get loose occasionally but are easy to force-fit back into their slots.
        Euphoniums
        2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
        1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
        Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
        Baritone
        1975 Besson New Standard
        Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• Magikarp
          • Jul 2020

Not the best to be honest. There is a patch of plating coming off the the third slide. There cannot be contact with anything in relation to where it is so IÂ’m guessing some moisture when the plating was done. There a couple of pin pricks in the lacquer which have occurred since I bought the hooter in May, but nothing else to report. IÂ’ve been in touch with Adams and they suggest it would be away for about two weeks. I did think about getting a slide without a waterkey made, but I get so much moisture in the third slide I think IÂ’d miss the waterkey if it wasnÂ’t there!

IÂ’ve never played an instrument so fussy for oil, either. I personally like Pure but even given a degrease and thorough clean the E2 really didnÂ’t like it. So it was back to JM no 2 oil. I did stop using the JM tuning slide oil and replace it with Slide O Mix rapid comfort which has transformed the trigger action. Because IÂ’m using the trigger quite a bit - only on middle A (treble clef) though - it is working brilliantly.

The valves have bedded in nicely and IÂ’m starting to get a bit of sound out of it - wheezy chest and post Xmas Covid weakness aside.
          Nowt

Retired

Comment

• mbrooke
            • Jan 2006

Willson 2900 purchased new in 1985. Only issues are a few spots where the silver plating has worn and a rattly slide brace that happened about 2 years ago and was easily fixed.

Mike

Comment

• ann reid
              • Jan 2019

My workhorses right now are two old Willson 2704s.

I practice for an hour every day and have a 2 weekly 2 hour rehearsals, one weekly one hour rehearsal, and an hour weekly lesson.

Both Willsons are slightly improved by basic maintenance and neither has ever played or appeared to be in any way deteriorating since I got them, the chronologically older one two years ago and the chronologically newer one about eight months ago. I really like both of them.

Comment

• cbz
                • Oct 2017

I have three instruments in my stable.

Yamaha YEP-321S - My first horn. Purchased new in high school from WWBW in May 1984 for the sum of $892 ($880 + $12 for a Schilke 51D). I have never needed any repairs on this instrument and it's still in great shape. I remember sitting on the porch waiting every afternoon waiting for the UPS truck to arrive.

Bach 42BO - My wife bought this used for me for our 10th wedding anniversary many years ago. I believe it dates from 1989. It is in decent shape but could use a little bit of slide work and de-denting. The zipper case has basically disintegrated ( a really poor design).

Yamaha YEP-642 Neo - Purchased from a forum member in 2017. I think it was a demo as it looked to have not been played at all. The first valve slide was slightly bent during shipping and this was causing the first valve to stick. One of the MOP buttons also fell off so that was glued back on.

Arul

Comment

• anadmai
                  • Mar 2022

Originally posted by cbz View Post
                  I remember sitting on the porch waiting every afternoon waiting for the UPS truck to arrive.
                  Me too!! Everyday for a month or so I'd stalk the UPS drivers. The horn was being shipped to the church my parents were pastors at. The day it came through the door. OMG... If you ask who I was excited to see first, Bramwell or my two daughters when they were first born, I'd be hard pressed for an answer. LOL..
                  DANA

Meet the Family
                  Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                  Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                  Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                  Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                  Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                  Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                  Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• aroberts781
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by anadmai View Post
                    If you ask who I was excited to see first, Bramwell or my two daughters when they were first born, I'd be hard pressed for an answer. LOL..
                    HA! Now that was a good Friday afternoon chuckle
                    1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                    1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• iMav
                      • May 2011

My Schiller Elite stencil horn has held up well (bought new in 2012). That’s 70 in “stencil years”. LOL

Haven’t had a single issue.
                      Groups
                      Valley City Community Band
                      Valley City State University Concert Band
                      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

I won't talk about longevity with my Adams because I haven't really had any one long enough to judge how they will stand up over the years. I started with a loaner E1, traded for one customized for me, then for a newer sample with some evolutionary improvements, then a loaner E3 to test, then my current E3. All this was over the course of 11 years, so only a relatively small time with each.

Going back in time...
                        I had a Sterling pre-virtuoso for about 6 years at the longest (because they were always sending me horns to try as improvements came into play). I had the Virtuoso for only about 5-6 years, although it held up fine.

My CG Band Besson Sovereign was with me for about 10 years and was the typical British Besson workhorse. No problems or signs of unusual wear.

My Besson 955 Sovereign baritone has had a bit of use over 40 years and is like new.

My Besson 981 (or 982) tuba has been used for about 40 years as well. Very little at first, then more regularly in a brass band in CT. Then in MN I used it in another brass band for a few months and in our brass group at church for 6 years or so. Now I use it occasionally. It is in great shape with just a little lacquer wear and no repairs done.

My King was purchased in about 1963, and I used it through a couple years of high school, a year of college in concert band plus 3 years total in the marching band, and then in the CG Band for a year. Lacquer had worn off in a few spaces by the time I hit college, but mechanically it was rock solid.

In my used horns...
                        I got a King Liberty trombone in college, which had been made in 1935 and was well used before I got it. I played it in college for brass ensembles and a little in the CG for the jazz band. My son used it for his playing in jr. high and for his home practice in high school. The case is still OK, but with lots of wear. The horn has silver plating worn in contact points. But it still plays like a dream! I'm selling it on consignment at Schmitt Music and I listened to their trombone guy check it out. He was very impressed with its sound and its feedback to the player. It's one of those "they don't make 'em like they used to" cases, perhaps, but I don't know enough about current trombones to say that for sure.

My Holton DB was played by its original owner through college and marching band, and used by his son for a while in jr. high. I bought it and have used it many times. NOTHING has been done to the horn except for cleaning. The lacquer is holding up well, although has darkened a lot.

=====================

I think most of the American euphoniums from the mid-20th century were made very well for their purpose. The Conns were a little softer or thinner and more dent prone. But all of the main brands held up well over normal use.

The British Bessons are legendary for toughness. There was a saying: "It sounds as good at the bottom of the stairs as it did at the top."

It's too soon to know about the current Bessons true lifespan. Willsons have proven very tough over many years. Yamahas seem to be in the camp as well. Certainly the 321 is remarkably rugged! Miraphones are made very well, although I've never thought of them as "tough" based on the tubas I've seen over many years. But they were not really made to fall down stairs; if treated properly they seem to last very nicely.
                        The clones in the era of iMav's and others on the forum have been pretty good horns overall and very good for the money. But again, we don't know how they will do after several decades.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                        YouTube: dwerden
                        Facebook: davewerden
                        Twitter: davewerden
                        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• TedZateslo
                          • Feb 2020

My Sovereign 968 euph was bought (a demo horn) in 1989 and still looks and plays perfectly. The silver plating has no worn patches or scars (maybe this is a sign I don't practice enough!). The only shop work has been a couple of ultrasonic dunks, which didn't yield much if any debris. Still on the original plastic valve guides! It survived a trip to Australia as checked baggage with no damage, a tribute either to the Besson plastic case or to Qantas handlers.

Too soon to say anything about the Shires Q40, about a year old.

The trombones I actually use (a King 3B and a Holton 181 bass) are a bit scratched up with some lacquer loss, but I got them that way. No mechanical issues with either.

Ted

Comment

• franz
                            • Dec 2015

I currently own 5 brass instruments, 2 euphoniums (Besson Prestige 2007, New Standard 1973), a French Wessex C tuba, a JP 373 baritone, and a Bach 42GO trombone, all immaculately maintained to look as if they just came out of the factory. I previously owned and played for about 20 years a Courtois 165 euphonium which was also in such superb condition that when I sold it I got 1/3 more than I paid for it when new. I am pleased to see that everyone here treats their instruments with the utmost care and attention, as one should do with anything or object we make use of, whether they belong to us or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230121_184937.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	118310 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230121_184651.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	118305 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230121_184519.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	118306 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230121_184543.jpg
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	118307

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160428_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	118308 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170316_175310 (1).jpg
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	118309
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by franz; 01-21-2023, 12:35 PM.
                            2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Comment

• Snake Charmer
                              • Sep 2020

Very interesting to read all the answers, but the result is not really unexpected. All horns in main use are holding up well....
                              Otherwise they are not longer used as the main horn!
                              I switched my main Eb tuba from a 1990s Besson to an Eastman 853 due to shoulder problems. The Besson was great from the beginning, after some weeks of heavy oiling the valves it needed nearly no care for the next 25 years of daily playing. I made a waterkey cork once and changed the valve felts twice, oiling the valves once a week or less. And with leather on all gripping areas there was no wear on the silver plating. Let's see how the Eastman will hold up for the next years. Until now I had to change all waterkey pads for cork (silicone pads were leaking from new), widen the lower tuning slides to prevent losing them while playing and fix a hole between valve three and four...
                              When I started with my first saxhorn I found out what playing can do with an instrument. It is a four valve horn from Thibouville-Lamy, a middle class quality we-make-it-all brand, mine was made ca 1905. Not too thick walls, but heavily nickel-plated it felt a bit stiff in playing. After two weeks the tone opened up and it played very nice. Half a year later (with nearly daily playing) I started looking for a newer one, when the tone started to get weak and unstable for the horn getting too soft. Meanwhile my everyday higher horn is a Courtois 166 (5 valve) from 1978, feels undestructible! (As expected playing a Courtois 151R trombone since 1983 without problems!)
                              So I don't think we will found too much low-budget horns and low-price brands here being praised for toughness!

Comment

• DaveBj
                                • Oct 2011

I have three Chinese horns of fairly recent manufacture, and they are all doing well. My "old" horn is the prototype of the Conn 86I, built in 1923. It was totally rehabbed in '18 (I think), so it also is doing well.
                                David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                                2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                                2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                                2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                                Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                                Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

Working...
                                X