Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wessex EP-600 Sinfonico - Review #3 (Doug Ruby)

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Oh well.... Perhaps 'tis now time for me to start pestering Dave Werden about including multiple MPs in his final review in the Sinfonico road show.

How about it, Dave... Perhaps 4AL, DC3, DC4, maybe also SM4U?

Regards.... Guido
    (A.K.A. The usual Pest)
    Um, probably not! I just don't have the time to quadruple the comparisons (especially when you count compiling the videos, which actually takes longer than the playing part for the way I like to do them). Also, for my testing I think I need to be comfortable with the mouthpiece to feel like I am getting the best from each horn. Certainly some horns are more suited to a larger/smaller/deeper/shallower cup than others, so such a test would be helpful.

If it's any consolation, I'll be using the DC4 for my tests. That is slightly smaller and more focused than the 4AL.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. I started using a DC3 and a sm4xr and wasn’t happy with my tone on the higher range, on either the imperial then the Sinfonico but swapping to a SM3 original has improved my tone and flexibility with range.

We do loose frequency response with age on the top and bottom extremes, my hearing isn’t the same as it was when I was at Uni in my early 20s and I know it’s different now I am in my mid 30s…
    I am already scared about what the next few decades will do to my hearing… I hope it’s like eyesight which I am told by my optician stabilises for years in your 30s…

When you say nasal I think of Chandlers GF Janice, OH MY GOD! That’s nasally… goodness know what your hearing to use that particular adjective for tone/timbre… warm, dark, cold, thick, thin, dull brilliant…

So when I say a bigger mouthpiece created a darker tone on the higher range, because I found the size 4 (26mm) mouthpieces too thin on notes above the treble clef stave for my playing preference, I would hope that translates clearer. But it might not…(shrug)

Someone else’s embouchure might have a lovely dark tone above the stave on a 51D, as we are all different… enjoy the mouthpiece safari…

The brass for the Sinfonico is 70/30 so when compared to the Stirling red brass bell at 80/20 will provide a different tone, not as dark. Then you are back to preferences…

I loved the Stirling tone, but it always sounded dark no matter what you played, whereas in my humble experience the Bessons/Wessex have a touch more flexibility to adjust the tone to the music… at the expense of achieving a Batman timbre (the darkest, richest tone) when you might really desire it.

Feeling very reassured that these top tier players are having a favourable experience with the Sinfonico and offering very similar feedback on the instruments quirks, as long as we all are remembering that no instrument, no matter the cost, is ever going to be 100% perfect.

3. JHarris...all good points.

BTW, I am 70 years old and I have been playing euphonium for 61 years. My hearing is non-existent above about 2kHz - 2.5kHz and has been that way since my mid-20s. Not only does your hearing change, but your embouchure changes as you age. For years I loved the fact that I could bring out a "shimmer" and pleasing vibrato in my high range at higher volumes, kind of the way Dave Childs does. I felt I could always make pleasing sounds anywhere in the tessitura of the euphonium at most dynamic ranges. At age 53, I got really serious and started studying with a professional and practicing as part of recovery from a heart attack. My playing got much stronger to the point that I was performing with some really good musicians here in the US and in the UK. In the last few years (2-3) this has changed and there is no doubt that my high range and my endurance is getting weaker. Also, my vision degradation means my sight reading is much worse.

As a result, I depend on trying to play with better habits (breathing, posture, phrasing), tricks (sneaking breaths, very bright stand lights, etc.), and trying to have the very best equipment that suits my increasingly narrow "power band". For this purpose, the Sterling suits me well as does my Adams. I continue to use the 4AL because it suits me (40+ years) but have recently found the MB5 has a similar feel to the 4AL but gives me just a bit more control over vibrato and strength in the high range.

All of this is to say that even in the declination of performing years, I still enjoy performing and am delighted to be able to evaluate new instruments based on my own unique requirements.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thank you Dave, I am looking forward to your EP600 review, and listening to you playing Sinfonico with your DC4

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Nice review, Doug!! Very thorough as you usually are. I did not have the longer tuning slide (a different horn from the other three reviewers), but I would have prefered that one over the shorter tuning slide.

I found the width of the Sinfonico to be about the same (fits in my K&M stand also without adjustment from my Adams), but I did find the horn to be smaller when viewed from the side (not sure how you characterize that dimension).

Someone asked about what mouthpieces the reviewers used. I used my Warburton Demondrae Thurmon signature mouthpiece exclusively for the entire review. And for the comparison reviews as well.

Again, nice job Doug, and the talking and playing part was nice as well. I need to say a few words sometime so people know I can talk and not look grumpy all the time (which is what I seem to look like on the recent videos!).

Anxious to hear your report, Dave.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12