Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going back to Band?

Going back to Band?

My community band (which is actually part of Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA)) is starting up rehearsals at the end of August. I was looking forward to getting back to it, but given the increasing number of cases of the delta variant, the unknown vaccination status of the other players, the fact that the NOVA has no requirement for proof of vaccination, and the fact that we may have 80+ people in the band, I am a bit leery, even thought I am vaccinated and have no underlying health issues. The school will provide a musicians mask, but this seems a bit useless, since cutting a hole in a mask kind of defeats the purpose of a mask. Is anyone else facing the decisions? I'd be interested in what anyone else thinks.

Thanks,

Mike

I feel your pain Mike. Our band shut down March 2020. Started up briefly late April 2021 with bell covers and drop cloths required. This was just for rehearsals with no plans to play concerts then. About half went back but I did not. Even though I got vaccinated I was sure a number of players hadn’t gotten vaccinated yet. Our band is planning to start up again mid August. I was planning to go back but the COVID cases here in FL are really climbing. Also some break-thru infections occurring with those fully vaccinated. I too am concerned.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

We’d played as long as we could outdoors in 2020 until late October, then starting in early May 2021 outdoors and I think 4 recent rehearsals in our indoor site.

I’m the only one I know who has actually had Covid, and there aren’t many who are older than I. We began outdoor concerts in early May and have very good attendance at everything. My own attendance has been more sporadic than I prefer because of some Covid related fatigue, but improving.

Some of us mask when entering rehearsals, but no masks while playing that I’ve seen. I don’t see ANY consensus about precautions anywhere, here in the hotspot. Some of our members who work in a local medical center, mask more than others. No idea who, if any, are not vaccinated.

Our next performance is at the beginning of August, outside.

We haven’t played outdoor concerts in over 20 years. We mostly have two venues at two colleges nearby (10 to 12 concerts per season - Oct thru May). Another concern is we need to fill half the seats to break even since theatre rental is about $1700 each concert. We’re not sure if the colleges are going to minimize attendance for social distancing. Lots to consider.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Our New Horizons Band started back in mid April for a month (indoor rehearsals in our normal place - a gym like space). Then at the start of June our New Horizons Band is back for the summer in weekly rehearsals and a couple concerts in July. The Rapid City Municipal Band is doing their normal 8 rehearsals (on Mondays) and eight concerts (on Wednesdays) in June and July. Rehearsals are indoors, concerts are outdoors in our bandshell with the audience in lawn chairs. We do not wear masks. Almost all members have been vaccinated, but there are a few who have not been vaccinated. No issues to date or any cases of COVID as far as I know.

A few did not return to the New Horizons Band in April, most have for the summer. Same with the Municipal Band, a few decided to stay out, about 95% or more returned.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 07-21-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Its hard to say if my Community Band will be rehearsing for both students and the Community (adult) members this Fall. We're at the mercy of what the school division and the province public health orders say about it. My city has a good covid vaccine uptake. The big issue will be the social distancing factor as its a bit crowded with 50 people in The Band room. I am guessing the school updated its air ventilation system by now, something precovid needed to be done. Atleast covid numbers are down.

Its quite possible that I still won't playing anywhere until atleast January.

I'm in two local community bands. All rehearsals and performances are outdoors. I've spoken to the other euphonium players, the trombone players, and tuba players (the ones who sit closest to me) and everyone's vaccinated. Here in Westchester County, NY, we have a pretty high rate of vaccination (both dosages, where applicable). The community orchestra (in which I play trombone) hasn't yet resumed rehearsals. It uses a local Ethical Culture Society room (i.e., indoors), and that organization is not yet permitting community groups to resume operations. Considering that the orchestra typically played a lot of concerts at nursing homes and libraries, I don't know when it will resume performances.

My wife wants to resume attending Broadway shows in the Fall (we have a subscription to Roundabout Theater in NYC), and I remain leery of that.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

My community band will start up again in late August.

Nope for me, and for the other euph player either.

Covid has to be gone for me & family before going back to playing.

Dennis

I hear you Dennis. We lost two members of the band to COVID about two months after the band shutdown March 2020. Plus a spouse of another band member did not survive. One member was helping her granddaughter move into college along with her father. All three got the virus but the grandfather did not survive. Don't know the circumstances of the other member. It's worrisome for sure.
    Last edited by RickF; 07-31-2021 at 09:21 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

My Trombone Ensemble and tuba quartet both started up recently. Band is supposed to start again very soon.
    Last edited by tonewheeler; 07-22-2021 at 03:53 PM.
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast