Thread: A Comparison of The Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium

1. A Comparison of The Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium

Hello everyone,

I spent Wednesday 14th July 2021, cleaning a number of instruments which included a Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium (serial number 891763), a Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium (serial number 904687), a Sovereign 956 Baritone (serial number 870806) and a Besson Imperial Baritone (serial number 491915).

I was rather intrigued by the small changes that were made between the Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and the Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and how that compared to my Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium which was completed in late September 2020.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	8449

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	8450

The main changes that seem to have been made between both instruments have been the positioning of the screw for the trigger system.

Name:	IMG_E3581.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	8446

Name:	IMG_E3582.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	8447

Name:	IMG_E3583.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	8448

I further wanted to explore the changes between the old Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and my new Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and apart from the weel known changes to the third valve slide and a change logo, the major change seems to have been to the leadpipe and the valve group with the top and bottom valve caps being much easier to screw into place than on the older Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Name:	IMG_3584.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	8451

Name:	IMG_3585.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	8452

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	8453

I made one final comparison in regards to where the stay is on the older model of Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium to my very own Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Name:	IMG_3588.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	8458

Name:	IMG_3589.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	8459

I have also created a video featuring each Euphonium which you can see at the following link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e08jxFJM1-E.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Last edited by Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE; 07-15-2021 at 07:51 AM.

2. Interesting how different they sound, I guess there isn’t really a specification for the “Besson sound” as it is constantly changing…

3. Hello JHarris,

It was really interesting to see how each instrument compared to each other and I was rather surprised how similar the sounds were between the older Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and my new Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium. It would be really interesting to do explore how the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium has changed over these past few years. In the future, I would love to see a comparison of the Besson Sovereign 967 Euphonium.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

4. I bet the sovereigns have gone through a bigger shift, lottery years quality drop is still damaging to the Besson brand, it opened up the market though, from a UK perspective….

I imagine it’s just a tonal shift in the prestige’s between English and German made? And that build quality is about the same?

5. Here's a question that occurred to me watching and listening. I noticed that there was quite a change in tone between open notes and when valves were used. Do you notice that also? Is that a Besson thing? I've frankly never noticed that in other brands. I'll have to listen some more to others for the same thing.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

My Prestige 2052-2, one of the first made in Germany in 2007 already has the trigger pull rod without screw, but still positioned below the slide, while the recent ones have positioned it above. It is an improvement as it bears the effort better. On mine, a few years ago, the pin had unsoldered, which had to be repaired.

Name:	20210717_164024.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	593.4 KB 
ID:	8460
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

7. Hello everyone,

I believe that if you were to put a English and German built Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium side by side then you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between both instruments. I think the real differences are really found within the operation of the instrument. I absolutely love my German made Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium. All the elements which include build quality, mechanics and sound of the instrument are exactly what I want within an instrument. I have a general interest in how these instruments have been developed over the course of the past few years and I find it absolutely fascinating the small changes which have been made to the position of the trigger on the main tuning slide. I wonder what other small changes have been made to the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium which we may not have noticed before and I often wonder what further changes will be made in the future to the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

8. My first Besson was borrowed from my private instructor and was a 1966 New Standard. My next was a brand new 1971 New Standard. I have owned a 1980 Sovereign 967 (Round Stamp), a 2001 Sovereign 967-2 with modified lead pipe, and a 2007 Prestige 2051-2. In terms of "out of the box" build quality, the German-built Prestige (one of the first in the USA) was better than the 2001 Sovereign. The valve action was to die for. Also, I much prefer the straighter lead pipe on the Prestige over that Sovereign of that era. It is difficult to compare with the older horns (1966, 1971, and 1980) since those were of a different era. In general I would say that build quality of those horns was generally better, though the older style pistons with brass tacquets were noisy and it was difficult to maintain valve alignment with cork and wool felt stops.

There is no question in my mind that there are numerous improvements, particularly in ergonomics since my 2007 Prestige. The trigger mechanism has been improved, the third valve slide wrap has been moved closer to the outer branch which makes the grip on the left hand easier, particularly for those with small hands.

However, on balance, if I were rate these horns over all for build quality, particularly consistency, I would prefer a new German built Besson Sovereign or Prestige. Having said that, particularly good examples of British built horns like my 2001 Sovereign occasionally show up. Within the limits of its horribly sharp 6th partial, it was one of the better Bessons I have ever played.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hello Richard, I admit that my Wessex Festivo exhibits minor stuffiness when engaging the valves in the midrange... On the other hand, 'tis worth considering that Festivo is a fine step-up euphonium -- hardly a flagship from a leading brand.... Hence some minor tonal inconsistency is forgivable on my lovely.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

10. Hello everyone,

It has been absolutely fascinating to read all of the comments which have been made on this post. I would one day love to see an indepth comparison made between the Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and the Besson Sovereign 967T Euphonium to explore the similarities and differences between these two instruments.

I wanted to share a few more images which were taken of a Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium (serial number 891763), a Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium (serial number 904687) and my own 2020 dated Silver Plated Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Name:	IMG_3652.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	8564

Name:	IMG_3655.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	8565

I really hope that these images may be of interest to some of the visitors to this forum and maybe used as reference images when exploring the development of The Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium in the future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Last edited by Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE; 08-23-2021 at 04:09 AM.