Thread: Breath power for slurs

Breath power for slurs

As a 75 y/o comeback player now in my 6th yr of returning to playing, smooth slurs in certain intervals is still an occasional challenge -- eg., some open fingering like third space treble clef C to E and a some octaves. I realize strong embouchure and breath control are key, but recently I used an extra push from my diaphragm and it hit the upper note more cleanly and easily. Is that a technique to be used as necessary, or a bad habit? Is that considered "air support"? Or is just more embouchure strength and control the answer? Maybe all of the above? And of course it could be some tiredness and I should just rest more during practice. I'm also working on my AGR to find the best position for my embouchure, MP and instrument (Adams Custom E1, with Warburton 6 MP)).
    Last edited by Roger; 07-14-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Grammer correction

And let me add, by "challenge", I mean clean and smooth. I get the occasional breathy sound before hitting the upper note.

3. I hesitate to comment as there are experts out there. But aperture control and tongue arch are part of the key. A breathy sound is often due to too open an aperture. Coordinating the two factors will allow easy transitions with little change in air. A smaller aperture will allow you to softly move from note to note. One of the things I practice is a sort of yah, yah movement of the tongue for trilling on notes from low to high.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Thanks, Richard. Do you ever use a breath or diaphragm push to get to the interval?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks, Richard. Do you ever use a breath or diaphragm push to get to the interval?
    Not anymore. Good breath support sort of allows flow across pitch changes. I did have a mouthpiece and horn combination where I would have to give it a little extra to get some notes to speak, but with the right setup, it doesn't seem to be such a big factor. Good air support is or should be constant. I notice that is one of the issue aging players have. Also with age I notice that posture starts to deteriorate, limiting the ability to generate good air and also have resonance through the chest.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Another option if you struggle is to use alternate fingering. So slurring from C to E treble clef as you described could be done C open to E 3rd valve or 1+2.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

A little flick of the 1st or 2nd valve can also help with the change from the C to the E.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)