Thread: Rare Treat - Trombonist Dick Nash on Euphonium for a Mancini Soundtrack

Rare Treat - Trombonist Dick Nash on Euphonium for a Mancini Soundtrack

Dick Nash plays lovely trombone ballads on many Mancini albums and his jazz playing is also featured on classic recordings like "Tutti's Trombones" and Pete Rugolo's "Ten Trombones" albums. Here he plays a comedic solo on euphonium. (He actually started as a euphonium player.) The scene is a couple inebriated thieves bumbling around, and it is a character I don't think I could have created!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WESAcPmb5c

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I like the lyrical playing and the fat, fluid sound he gets on the recording. This takes me back to the baritone (not euphonium!) sound of the 1960s. No way to know now, but what horn might he have been playing?

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I like the lyrical playing and the fat, fluid sound he gets on the recording. This takes me back to the baritone (not euphonium!) sound of the 1960s. No way to know now, but what horn might he have been playing?
    I've spoken with him and mailed a bit (before email!), and I know in more recent years than this (1966 for the movie) he was using a Yamaha 321. So I might assume that he was using an American 4-valve-inline Conn/King/Etc. Most studio trombone players didn't choose a Besson for a euphonium unless they did some "real" euphonium playing in a band or something. That was not the case for Dick as far as I know, so let's go with the American idea! He's on FB, but does not seem to be posting much - no surprise for someone 93 years old!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I've spoken with him and mailed a bit (before email!), and I know in more recent years than this (1966 for the movie) he was using a Yamaha 321. So I might assume that he was using an American 4-valve-inline Conn/King/Etc. Most studio trombone players didn't choose a Besson for a euphonium unless they did some "real" euphonium playing in a band or something. That was not the case for Dick as far as I know, so let's go with the American idea! He's on FB, but does not seem to be posting much - no surprise for someone 93 years old!
    Thanks for sharing. I guess that the Yamaha 321 has been around for quite awhile! I didn't know that. Thanks for posting. Dick Nash....what a talent!
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

5. My ear is hearing an American bell front horn. I would guess a Conn or King.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Man, Dick Nash sounds great! Very rich sound. Thanks for sharing.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Thanks for posting, Dave. Dick Nash has to be my absolute favorite trombone player for playing ballads. Man what a sound. It just doesn't get any better. The definition of smooth!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)