Thread: K&G mouthpieces: small review new master series

K&G mouthpieces: small review new master series

Hi to all,
    about a month ago I bought a new K&G mouthpiece for euphonium of the new master series, which differs from the standard series only for a different backbore that produces an increase in air speed creating, a according to the manufacturer, a more powerful and bold sound, more centered and focused with an improved projection followed by a lyrical sound. A rough comparison between the backbore of the standard series and the new master shows that in the latter the flare is less pronounced starting lower than the throat. My feedback translates into a brighter sound with more upper harmonics, more powerful and centered, while in the standard I see a sound with a wider acoustic spectrum that enhances the low register with a darker timbre. They are both excellent mouthpieces, in my opinion the best I've ever used, to be used as appropriate, to enhance the sound characteristics I want to obtain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210604_205140.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	8399
    Last edited by franz; 06-21-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Hi Franz,

I've also played the 3D+ and 3.5D+, and echo your sentiment. For me, the "standard" versions felt just a bit "tubby" in terms of sound. The + versions allowed me to make the sound more "brilliant" such as one might want when playing over a band.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Which of the K&G mouthpieces would you liken to the 51D or the SM3X? Thanks for the review BTW.
    Ben Dawley
    Music Director
    Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
    Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

51D and SM3X are two mouthpieces that I have used a lot over the years and with which I have found myself best. A few years ago I come across K&G mouthpieces and since then my search for the ideal ( for me) mouthpiece has ended. Being able to make a comparison the K&G+ has more similarities with the SMX than with the 51D, but with improvements in all respects, especially for the resistance, moreover it more consistent in terms of intonation both in the high and in the low register. K&G mouthpieces have a single edge shape for all models and sizes that is particularly wide, compared to those of the other brands, but also rounded in order to allow great resistance combined with superlative flexibility. It has a 7,4mm throat, quite wide similar to the SMX, while the 51D has a 7mm throat which, in my opinion, makes it more suitable to be paired with uncompensated euphoniums ( the 51D).
    For further information on the subject, I invite you to take a look at the article I published on this forum.
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/content...um-Mouthpieces
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.