X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger
    • Oct 2017

The "one book" question

All of us have collected multiples of books over our long/short careers of playing -- techniques, daily routines, exercises for specific purposes, flows, songs, etc. If you could recommend only one book for the average amateur player to use all the time, which would it be?
  • John Morgan
    • Apr 2014

Probably Arbans.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Sara Hood
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by John Morgan View Post
      Probably Arbans.
      I just had to laugh when I read this response. Arbans has more content than modern method books, easily 5X. There is much more to chose from when practicing. Jean-Baptiste Arbans included a wide range of techniques and exercises for specific purposes. You don't have to work your way up to book three (or whichever it happens to be in the series you are working through) before you get to the advanced material. It's all there, beginner through pro.

Much of the material was based on tunes that were popular during his day. As a modern musician, I just wish I recognized more of them. As a beginner or average amateur player, it is easier to tell whether you are "doing it right" if you already have some idea what is should sound like.

- Sara
      Last edited by Sara Hood; 06-19-2021, 04:41 PM.
      Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

I have said for years that my desert island book is the Arban Complete Conservatory Method. No book has everything, but this one has a great variety. And you can extend it with a little imagination. I did a video a while back about simple ways to expand the book, which might help especially for euphonium players with our extra range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CPdoZDezdE
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Roger
          • Oct 2017

I don't know why I expected anything other than Arbans. I first saw it in the 7th grade, used through high school, and was the first book I bought when starting playing again at 70'ish.

Comment

• aroberts781
            • Sep 2014

I will also vote for Arban. As a member of the target demographic, average amateur, it is the book I use the most. I do use Rochut a lot to work on musicality, and I prefer the melodies in there more than the songs in Arban. But, as Sara and Dave said so well, there is so much in Arban from very easy to very challenging, lots of different things to work on, lots of ways to vary it and change it up, etc etc etc.
            1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
            1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• hyperbolica
              • Feb 2018

Arbans is great for technical stuff, but I would choose Rochut 1 because melodies teach you more than exercises.

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Not to be overlooked: the Complete Conservatory Method of Arban has 150 songs in the middle and several full solos at the end, most of which have a verse and a theme. Certainly the Rochut is more advanced musically, and includes some technical challenges, especially when you get to volume 3.
                Last edited by davewerden; 06-20-2021, 08:31 AM.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• aroberts781
                  • Sep 2014

To hyperbolica's point, I agree that Rochut 1 would be a good choice as well. When it comes to books, I use it and Arban. As I said above, I prefer the tunes in Rochut more than the songs/solos in Arban, so I do prefer Rochut to Arban in that regard.

An interesting question might be this - if an average amateur devoted their practice time all to Arban or all to Rochut (probably not advisable ha), which average player would be more prepared to make music in a solo or group setting. My uneducated hunch is it would be the Arban player. Just seems to me like that person would have more tools with which to craft the art.
                  1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                  1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

I would say the Arban student would be better prepared, if the choice were ONLY THE Arban OR ONLY THE Rochut. Many of the Arban's songs are familiar, which can aid one in developing musicianship, especially less-experienced players. To me, Rochut would be introduced after a foundation is learned from Arban, ALONG WITH other music material (cello suites, etc.). But that goes against the whole "one book" focus of this thread.
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• hyperbolica
                      • Feb 2018

Exercises prepare you for specific situations. Melodies prepare you more generally to be musical. You need both. I think anyone who works one side to the exclusion of the other is going to be lacking in some way. Most of us older folks have played a lot of both. My wife hates to hear exercises, so I tend to play songs and melodies, trying to keep in mind exercises that I should be working on.

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hyperbolica View Post
                        Exercises prepare you for specific situations. Melodies prepare you more generally to be musical. You need both. I think anyone who works one side to the exclusion of the other is going to be lacking in some way. Most of us older folks have played a lot of both. My wife hates to hear exercises, so I tend to play songs and melodies, trying to keep in mind exercises that I should be working on.
                        I think about that as well, since when I practice my bell points directly at my wife (through my ceiling/her floor). But some mix & match can work for some things. For example, in the Art of Phrasing (Arban), song #2 (Loving I Think of Thee), play 4 16ths to every beat. That's a great work to work on clean, even tonguing, and you can do it with single or double tonguing. Or song #9 (Blue Bells of Scotland) you can play 2 triplet 16ths per beat and practice triple tongue.

That won't replace all your exercises, but you can perhaps win a point or two with your wife this way.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• massmanute
                          • Nov 2019

I'm not an expert by any means, but I would probably agree with most opinion expressed here that Arban would be the first choice.

My euphonium teacher likes Arban, though he assigns more exercises for me to practice from the Fink: Studies in Legato and Clarke-Gordon: Technical exercises books than from Arban. However, he would likely also agree that for a single book Arban would be the first choice. He has commented, however, that Arban does not do much to develop the high range.

By the way, my euphonium teacher also recommends Vining: Daily Routines, and also recently recommended that I am ready to start some pieces from Bordogni/Rochut/Raph: Melodius Etudes.

Comment

• davewerden
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by massmanute View Post
                            ...He has commented, however, that Arban does not do much to develop the high range.
                            My thought on that is...
                            If a student is advanced enough to need range outside the Arban, then it is high time to get comfortable with transposition. Up and octave and down an octave should come first and the two offer nearly unlimited range development potential. Also, LOTS of the exercises are so well patterned that you can extend them up/down beyond the written limits.

Once you have the high/low notes (which I do), you can play some of the 150 songs up or down an octave to develop more control over the notes you think you "have in your pocket" (trust me on that!!).

I have offered a few tips on my "how to" playlist on YouTube for extending the Arban book. Here is the latest. Note that it is SO simple that almost anyone can do it on the fly (i.e. without writing it out). Of course, this tip and the ones above could apply to most method books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=334zfjsuR78

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• massmanute
                              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                              My thought on that is...
                              If a student is advanced enough to need range outside the Arban, then it is high time to get comfortable with transposition. Up and octave and down an octave should come first and the two offer nearly unlimited range development potential. Also, LOTS of the exercises are so well patterned that you can extend them up/down beyond the written limits.

Once you have the high/low notes (which I do), you can play some of the 150 songs up or down an octave to develop more control over the notes you think you "have in your pocket" (trust me on that!!).

I have offered a few tips on my "how to" playlist on YouTube for extending the Arban book. Here is the latest. Note that it is SO simple that almost anyone can do it on the fly (i.e. without writing it out). Of course, this tip and the ones above could apply to most method books.
                              Excellent advice. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X