Thread: Conn 86L Soprano bugle. Horizontal valve. Plays in G/D

Conn 86L Soprano bugle. Horizontal valve. Plays in G/D

The horn was a barn find...really a shed find...some before and during pictures. I still have work to do but it's getting there.
    1938 CG Conn, Horizontal valve bugle. Soprano 86L. The cleaned horn is in the during phase of my resto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210616_081656.jpg   20210616_081712.jpg   20210611_142958.jpg   20210611_142931.jpg  

I'm ignorant about such things. How much does the valve change the key/pitch? It's a pretty cool-looking old horn!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Changes it from a normal bugle pitched in G when the valve is up. Down a 4th to D when the valve is depressed and locked. I have a finger button on the way. There is also a tuning slide, that I haven't loosened yet that is marked and when extended, puts the horn in F. They called these competition bugles. The idea of locking the valve was to keep players from cheating and using the valve in competition.

Bill, I looked for this post earlier to answer, but instead I found your other post in the same category:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e-Plays-in-G-D

Can I delete the other post? It might confuse others as it did me.

Anyway, thanks for the response about the valve's operation. The long tube attached is one reason I was curious. That's an interesting bit of background - I am almost totally unfamiliar with this type of thing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium