Thread: Large Room Test #2: Wick 4AL vs Alliance DC3 (David Childs Signature)

Large Room Test #2: Wick 4AL vs Alliance DC3 (David Childs Signature)

Here is the 2nd round (same session; different video clip assembly). The DC3 is a similar width to the 4AL, but feels slightly larger than my own 4AL (perhaps due to rim shape). The DC3 has a considerably larger backbore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtqExU5cnJM

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    This one was easier for me than the DC4 vs the 4AL. The DC3 wins hands down. It actually sounded "clearer" to my ears. More body. More presence. Just a very nice sound. Of course, I may be partial to that size of mouthpiece and sound as I use the Demondrae signature model. And when you did that little bit of scale work at the end, the DC3 was MUCH clearer and open and full on the very high notes than the 4AL.

I think the DC3 is better sounding. Don't get me wrong, they all sound good, but the DC3 would be the one I'd keep!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I think the DC3 is better sounding. Don't get me wrong, they all sound good, but the DC3 would be the one I'd keep!
    Without commenting too much on the outcome, let me say that the DC3 is a bit harder to play when life gets intense in the higher registers. That is a factor in my overall decision. I suspect the next video will cement your impression more - it will be a comparison between just the 2 Alliance mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

You sound great on both mpcs! I do hear a richer tone when you're playing the DC3. More overtones I suspect.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. Same issue as the DC4 in this one. Part of the tone spectrum is missing. I also watched the DC3 vs. DC4 on Youtube posted this morning. Same feeling. I think the 4AL is a much better sound for large rooms.

Unless it is something about how you play the Alliance mouthpieces. When you are playing them, do they require a change in approach?
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    When you are playing them, do they require a change in approach?
    To some extent, yes. That is what makes comparing them difficult. Another approach that would help in one way is for me to spend at least a week on a single mouthpiece, then record excerpts. Then spend a week on another and record. The problem there is being sure A) that I'm playing exactly the same way, at the same volume, and B) that the microphone and I are in exactly the same places. Beyond that, if the church resets some equipment or drapes, the sound could be affected. If there is an ideal way to account for all this complication, I have NOT found it!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard III View Post
    Same issue as the DC4 in this one. Part of the tone spectrum is missing. I also watched the DC3 vs. DC4 on Youtube posted this morning. Same feeling. I think the 4AL is a much better sound for large rooms.

Unless it is something about how you play the Alliance mouthpieces. When you are playing them, do they require a change in approach?
    Richard,

What do you mean about "part of the tone spectrum is missing" with the DC4? Anyone's opinion is certainly as valid as anyone else's. I don't think I am hearing what you are hearing, unless I am just not listening well or listening on equipment that is substantially different from yours. Please enlighten me as I want to understand your comments and your sound concept.

John
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Richard,

What do you mean about "part of the tone spectrum is missing" with the DC4? Anyone's opinion is certainly as valid as anyone else's. I don't think I am hearing what you are hearing, unless I am just not listening well or listening on equipment that is substantially different from yours. Please enlighten me as I want to understand your comments and your sound concept.

John
    To quote my response from a previous test:

In this case, the DC4 is missing middle to middle high frequencies (graphically say on a 0-10 scale, 6-8 is missing). The 4AL sounds fuller and more balanced. I enjoyed hearing the 4AL this time. I found the dullness of the DC4 because it is missing those frequencies to be unappetizing. Odd, because I preferred it before. Also, from my experience, when that part of the range is missing, my ear will hear it as flat. I've had that happen to me with recordings done in churches also.
    I listened first with ear buds connected to my laptop. Then I listened to good quality speakers connected to my desktop computer. I noticed the same issue with both.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Thanks, Richard. I will relisten with your observations in mind.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only: