Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Room Test: Wick 4AL vs Alliance DC4

Large Room Test: Wick 4AL vs Alliance DC4

OK, here is the first of 3. This one compares my 4AL with my DC4, using my church sanctuary. For this one I deliberately had the mic well back in the room to give a better perspective of what a listener (who is not sitting next to me!) might hear. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ixTn6FvD4

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Both very nice, indeed. The DC4 is a bit warmer and broader. The 4AL is a little less of that. That is about the main distinction I hear this morning, quickly, before going off to band. I could sure live with either, but I think my preference would lie with the DC4.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Both sound great but the DC4 is slightly better. It’s hard to say if this is just mouthpiece affecting the sound though as I get the feeling you enjoy playing on the DC4 better than the 4AL.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

The DC4 seems to have a "wider" sound profile whereas I would describe the 4AL as more "compact". It almost sounds like the recording equipment changes with each mouthpiece, so interesting. Do you change the gap at all between MP?

I love the way you articulate those three Fs halfway through the Holst - a lot of players just gloss over them, almost not articulating them at all, forgetting (or not knowing) the origin of the music.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Both mpcs sound great to my ear. I'd give the edge to the DC4. Don't know if a bit warmer is the right way to describe it or if there's a bit more over tones with the DC4.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

6. I listened pretty carefully with decent speakers. The Wick 4AL sounds a tad more brilliant and ever so slightly crisper than the Alliance DC4. The Alliance DC4 sounds just a bit warmer with just slightly less (maybe smoother?) articulation than the 4AL. I was not pre-disposed to this outcome. I like either, but now I might be interested in a DC4 myself.

I must say that in the large room you sound fantastic with either mouthpiece. Great job, Dave
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    I love the way you articulate those three Fs halfway through the Holst - a lot of players just gloss over them, almost not articulating them at all, forgetting (or not knowing) the origin of the music.
    Thanks! I think that is partly because many folks rely only on their tongue to play those. But that is the lesser of the input the music needs from us. Mostly it is air. Here is a video I did just on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnliDBO7Apc
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Quote Originally Posted by DEF1 View Post
    ...I get the feeling you enjoy playing on the DC4 better than the 4AL.
    I DO enjoy playing the DC4, but when I switch back to the 4AL (like for this test) it is also fun to play. Mostly I think the DC4 is slightly easier to play, but only slightly.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I appreciate all the comments so far! I am not saying much about the sound comparison myself so I don't influence this conversation.

FYI, the other 2 videos I'll post soon are the same session, but comparing 4AL to DC3, and comparing DC4 to DC3.

And I forgot to mention, I did only one run for each mouthpiece, playing ALL the excerpts in a row. The comparison is done by chopping up 2 of the tests so each excerpt can be heard back to back.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. In this case, the DC4 is missing middle to middle high frequencies (graphically say on a 0-10 scale, 6-8 is missing). The 4AL sounds fuller and more balanced. I enjoyed hearing the 4AL this time. I found the dullness of the DC4 because it is missing those frequencies to be unappetizing. Odd, because I preferred it before. Also, from my experience, when that part of the range is missing, my ear will hear it as flat. I've had that happen to me with recordings done in churches also.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast