Thread: Two trombones for sale - need input

Two trombones for sale - need input

In that I am a euph player and know little about trombones, and know that some of you double on trombone, I'm reaching out to you for your input.

I am selling two trombones for a friend who just recently went into a nursing home:
    1. King 3B Silver Sonic Anniversary Model, silver 8" bell, F attachment, in very good to excellent condition including a very nice case
    2. King 3B Concert, 8" bell, no F Attachment, one dent, some pitting, solid case, in overall good condition

I'm seeking help in knowing what these horns are worth. I realize that pictures would be a great help, but in lieu of pictures a price range would be helpful. Osmun Brass, the premier brass shop here in New England, told me that they were both worth around $1500, although they have not seen the horns. It would seem to me that the Silver Sonic would be worth more than the 3B Concert, but again I know nothing about the value of trombones.

Any help in establishing sale prices for these horns would be greatly appreciated. We are only trying to sell them for a fair price.

Thanks in advance for your help!

JP

I think we have a few folks here who are more into trombone than I, but my instincts are the same as yours. FWIW, here is an anniversary model that is listed for $2,500. NOTE: that doesn't mean it will sell for that much. A look at eBay is not much help. There are similar models all over the map for price.

Any other thoughts out there?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Have you tried asking on the trombone forum: https://trombonechat.com/index.php?s...1fb7ff67a043da ? Might have much better luck there.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. King Silversonic 3b w/F is going to be worth about $1800 - $2000 depending on condition. These right now are kind of the pinnacle of non-custom small bore horns. It's very versatile and can do 75% of the tenor playing out there, although many consider the 3b a jazz horn.

The brass 3b straight is probably worth $800-1100 depending of course on condition.

These are high end numbers. Unless the horn was gold plated, owned by JJ Johnson or its serial #1, the value can't go much over.

Of course there is the retail used market, like say Dillons where you also play a NY premium. Individuals selling instruments can't command those kinds of prices.
    Last edited by hyperbolica; 06-13-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks to all for your responses! hyperbolica - this is very helpful.

For those of you who ship large instruments, where can I get cartons large enough for the trombones?

JP

6. Uhaul lamp boxes work well. Or you can tape together a couple shorter boxes. I sometimes wind up making my own box from assorted corrugated material around the house.

Also check for used golf bag rigid shipping containers. They usually fit trombone cases.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Thanks guys for the shipping container tips.