Thread: Solbron Euphonium History

1. Solbron Euphonium History

Hello everyone,

I have finally managed to source myself a 1916 dated Solbron Euphonium and I was curious to learn more about the development of this instrument and I was wondering if anyone had any information which they could give me in relation to these instruments?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

I have a playable Solbron from 1928 or so; serial number 132871. It's labelled Boosey & Co, "Imperial Model", Solbron Class A, Compensating pistons.

I don't know anything about the history of this line, but the form is clearly that of a modern euphonium with the 4th valve placement and all the slides in the usual places. It has a medium shank, but I don't know if it is original. The tuning slide seems to have been lengthened for low pitch. The bell is 10" and the intonation is quite good.

3. Hello Carbogast,

Thank you so much for your message. How long have you owned your Solbron Euphonium for? I am rather eager to see how my 1916 dated Solbron Euphonium will compare to my 2020 made Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Thank you so much for all of the information that you have given me. I really hope that I will be able to find out more about the development of the Solbron Euphonium in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

If I'm remembering correctly, Solbron wasn't a maker but it was a trade name of Boosey for instruments with soldered bronze pistons. soldered bronze = solbron
    --
    Barry

5. Hello Barry,

Thank you so much for sharing this absolutely fascinating piece of information with me. I have been told that the Solbron Euphonium was quite a popular instrument in the early 20th century but there does not seem to be any information in regards to how this instrument was developed. I really hope that I will be able to find out a little more about the development of the Solbron Euphonium in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Last edited by Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE; 06-20-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Here is an interesting pdf that can get you started:Brasswind Innovation and output of Boosey & Co. It has an interesting discussion of various patents for compensating pistons (Blaikley was not the only one). If you search "Brasswind Inovation and output of Boosey & Co", you will get other potentially interesting links.
    -Carroll
    Last edited by carbogast; 06-21-2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Fix link

7. Hello Carroll,

Thank you so much for sharing this article with me. I will have to try and do some more research into the development of this instrument. I will try to report back to you all if I find out any interesting information.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons