Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico Reviews

All, it might be worth pointing out that in the Wessex Dolce/Sinfonico review linked above, John Powell might be using the factory-supplied Wessex 4AY mouthpiece. This might be hampering both Dolce's and Sinfonico's expressivity, and account for their somewhat "declarative" tone, and slight brashness in Sinfonico's Holst fragment in particular.

4AY is also the mouthpiece shipped with my Wessex EP104 Festivo…. I have never been terribly fond of it, as it imparts a slight hardness to the tone, and -- for a lack of a better word -- a lack of emotionality or expressiveness. I much prefer playing Festivo with the Wick 4AL.

Thus, I am very much looking forward to John, Dave, and the other fortunate members of the Sinfonico test group letting us hear Sinfonico put through its paces and showing its musical potential using some of their preferred mouthpieces... Be these 4AL, DC3, DC4, etc...

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    All, it might be worth pointing out that in the Wessex Dolce/Sinfonico review linked above, John Powell might be using the factory-supplied Wessex 4AY mouthpiece. This might be hampering both Dolce's and Sinfonico's expressivity, and account for their somewhat "declarative" tone, and slight brashness in Sinfonico's Holst fragment in particular.

4AY is also the mouthpiece shipped with my Wessex EP104 Festivo…. I have never been terribly fond of it, as it imparts a slight hardness to the tone, and -- for a lack of a better word -- a lack of emotionality or expressiveness. I much prefer playing Festivo with the Wick 4AL.

Thus, I am very much looking forward to John, Dave, and the other fortunate members of the Sinfonico test group letting us hear Sinfonico put through its paces and showing its musical potential using some of their preferred mouthpieces... Be these 4AL, DC3, DC4, etc...

Regards, Guido
    Yes, exactly. I was probably getting ahead of myself. I will provide a thorough review next week sometime. Please don't take anything for granted now or form any opinions quite yet.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

The long awaited Wessex Sinfonico 4-part review project seems to have gone dorment since Chapter 2.... When might we read/hear/ see chapters 3 and 4?

Anxiously hoping for good news... And vigorously biting nails ... Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 07-19-2021 at 10:04 AM.

4. Guido,

I am next in line. Since most of us are playing in ensembles that are meeting, we are using the horn in rehearsal and performance and holding on to it for longer than we did with the ACB Doubler. I have had the horn for just over a week so far. Some time was spent in giving the horn a bath since it had been used in demo mode in Chicago for a few months prior to being sent to Jim. I expect you will see a writeup from me and (I hope) hear some comparison recordings with my Sterling Virtuoso with a goal of publishing the week of July 26

Doug Ruby.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thank you so much Doug for the excellent news... I am so much looking forward to reading your in-depth analysis next week, and listening to your comparative video clips!

Regards, Guido

+1........

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Thank you so much Doug for the excellent news... I am so much looking forward to reading your in-depth analysis next week, and listening to your comparative video clips!

Regards, Guido
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium

7. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    John, can I infer that the Sinfonica sounds more like an Adams E2?
    I will answer this a bit. The answer is no. The E2 is a very heavy horn much like a Miraphone 5050. With its 11" bell, the Sinfonico does not sound like an Adams (to me) at all. I would consider comparing it to a Besson 968, a Yamaha 641, perhaps a yellow brass E1, or to some extent more like my 300mm Sterling than my E3. It has a very nice sound, but is more direct than the E2 or E3.

Also, I would not say that any of the Adams are inappropriate for brass bands, but that they are not terribly popular. Keep in mind that Adams does not sponsor bands or artists in the same manner as is the custom in the British Brass Band scene (or for that matter in the US professional scene either). Much like Sterling, Adams has a very limited artist sponsorship program.

I have played (but do not own) a Dolce, Yamaha 642, and Neo. The Sinfonico has a very robust sound, plays very well in tune (for me), and generally good responsiveness. I will provide more data and impressions when I have time to sit down and write up my results.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 07-20-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12