Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wessex Sinfonico Reviews

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Wessex Sinfonico Reviews

I am one of four forum members who will be reviewing the Wessex Sinfonico like we did for the Austin Custom Brass Doubler Euphonium.

Just a quick note to say that the Sinfonico arrived at my home today, about a couple hours ago, in good condition. I will be writing an extensive review on this horn after playing and examining it for a few days, but I do need to register a couple things right now.

This horn, the Wessex Sinfonico, is a very nice horn to look at right out of the box. It was exciting to open the case and see such a lovely horn. And after playing it for 30-45 minutes, I am really, really impressed with the sound of this horn. And the resonance that I feel when playing it. This is a very, very good euphonium, no doubt about it. That is all I am prepared to say today, but I will be back in a few days with much more. This is an absolutely wonderful euphonium.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’m excited to see the results! If I’m correct, this and the Adam’s Euphoniums are the only ones on the market made from sheet metal, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SamMcHenry00 View Post
    I’m excited to see the results! If I’m correct, this and the Adam’s Euphoniums are the only ones on the market made from sheet metal, right?
    Well, I know the Adams are, and I also know that Wessex says the Sinfonico is made from sheet metal. I can't say for certain that there aren't other euphoniums made from sheet metal, but I know of none.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by SamMcHenry00 View Post
    As with John, I can't think of any other than the Sinfonico and Adams. Certainly not the major brands (Besson, Yamaha, Willson). Miraphone does some things in a traditional way, but I don't know the extent. (The hydraulic forming of tubing is very attractive for the manufacturer because it saves a great deal of time.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Very interested to see you reviews. I contemplated the Sinfonico when I purchased my Dolce. I really liked the look of the Sinfonico but the review on the Wessex site says the tone is more of a Tenor Tuba so was concerned how it would fit in with a brass band. Looking forward to your views on here.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Quote Originally Posted by DEF1 View Post
    Very interested to see you reviews. I contemplated the Sinfonico when I purchased my Dolce. I really liked the look of the Sinfonico but the review on the Wessex site says the tone is more of a Tenor Tuba so was concerned how it would fit in with a brass band. Looking forward to your views on here.
    I can say quite definitively that the Sinfonico sounds like other good Euphoniums, and not really at all like what I think a Tenor Tuba sounds like.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I can say quite definitively that the Sinfonico sounds like other good Euphoniums, and not really at all like what I think a Tenor Tuba sounds like.
    This is the review direct from the Wessex website.

https://youtu.be/6zhnv8I4KV8
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Yes, I have seen that review before several times. But the Sinfonico IS NOT a Tenor Tuba. He says you can play Tenor Tuba parts, like in Mars from The Planets by Holst. I played that on my Adams. That is a Tenor Tuba part, but is usually played on a Euphonium.

I will be playing something on the Sinfonico and recording it, don't know what yet, but it will sound like a Euphonium.

If I had to choose between the Dolce and the Sinfonico, at least so far at this moment in time, it would be the Sinfonico without a second thought. It is just a better horn, although it also costs double what the Dolce costs, so there is that consideration. And is it twice as good, probably not.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 06-02-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Yes, I know, sometimes the euphonium is called a tenor tuba. My version of the tenor tuba is more like this (from tuba - Wikipedia):

"The euphonium is sometimes referred to as a tenor tuba and is pitched in B♭, one octave higher than the BB♭ contrabass tuba. The term "tenor tuba" is often used more specifically to refer to B♭ rotary-valved tubas pitched in the same octave as euphoniums. The "Small Swiss Tuba in C" is a tenor tuba pitched in C, and provided with 6 valves to make the lower notes in the orchestral repertoire possible. The French C tuba was the standard instrument in French orchestras until overtaken by F and C tubas since the Second World War. One popular example of the use of the French C tuba is the Bydło movement in Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, though the rest of the work is scored for this instrument as well."

So, sometimes not a whole lot of difference.

But, as far as the Sinfonico, it plays and sounds like some of the top end euphoniums out there. Would it work in a brass band? Would an Adams E2 work in a brass band. Sort of the same question.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    [snip] Would it work in a brass band? Would an Adams E2 work in a brass band. Sort of the same question.
    Okay, stupid question here. From the posts on this forum, it seems that the Adams E3 is the most popular model. From the specs, I have the idea that the Adams E2 is a little like the Miraphone 5050, is that right? Is there a reason this doesn't work in a brass band?

John, can I infer that the Sinfonica sounds more like an Adams E2?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast