Thread: FS: Besson 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium in Lacquer - Medium Shank

FS: Besson 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium in Lacquer - Medium Shank

This listing looks pretty good. The horn shows some wear and dents, but nothing out of the ordinary. The ugliest thing I can see is the bell rim, which could stand some straightening (I think most decent shops can do this). It has the New Standard style finger buttons on 1-2-3 and an Imperial-style button on 4. Seller says all slides and valves work well, but there are no photos of the pistons. No case is included. Starting bid as of now is $1,734.99 and the seller allows 30-day returns.

Addendum: see Vito's post below for some considerations.

New URL:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/255008894839

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	8366 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	8367 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	8368 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	8369 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	8370
    Last edited by davewerden; 06-10-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Not to undermine this Ebay listing, but I would stay away from this. Apart from the cosmetic wear you can also see that some of the braces dented inwards into the bell. The valve tubing is also way out of alignment indicating that this horn has suffered some major damage in the past. There is also a patch as seen on the third picture just under the upper bow at the side off the bell, indicating that there was a crack or hole in the brass that needed to be patched.
    There are better options for this price point IMO.
    Last edited by Vito; 06-06-2021 at 05:08 AM.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Not to undermine this Ebay listing, but I would stay away from this. Apart from the cosmetic wear you can also see that some of the braces dented inwards into the bell. The valve tubing is also way out of alignement indicating that this horn has suffered some major damage in the past. There is also a patch as seen on the third picture just under the upper bow at the side off the bell, indicating that there was a crack or hole in the brass that needed to be patched.
    There are better options for this price point IMO.
    I see what you mean. although the seller says all valves and slides move smoothly. That would lead me to wonder about the alignment issue. I did not notice the patch...or rather, I thought it was a seam (memory slip there - I know that bow is one-piece construction). I'll leave your comment and note it in the first post, and I will unstick the thread. Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium