• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Comparing 2 Alliance Mouthpieces: DC3 and DC4

Here is my video with A/B comparisons of the signature David Childs mouthpiece, DC3, and the DC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMaJGJwV5Uo

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • miketeachesclass
    • Feb 2016

In this context, the DC4 sounds brighter to me, and I prefer the DC3. That tracks with my experience comparing the DC2 and DC3.

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
    Here is my video with A/B comparisons of the signature David Childs mouthpiece, DC3, and the DC4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMaJGJwV5Uo

Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• Richard III
      • Nov 2019

With the DC3 vs. DC4, the DC4 makes me happy. I know. Weird reaction but there is a thickness to the lower level in the spectrum of tone that supports the whole sound that really sets this one apart. I only hear it in this comparison. And there is no sacrifice to the highs in the tone. So the DC4 is my favorite.
      Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
      King 2280 Euphonium
      King 10J Tuba
      Conn 22B Trumpet

Comment

• MichaelSchott
        • Mar 2012

I’m with Mike. The DC4 is notably brighter. Too much so IMO.

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

I join Richard in taking the minority view. While the close miking might be limiting the rendering of harmonic exposure for both mouthpieces, and the range of the fragments favors the center frequencies, I seem to detect a greater extension and harmonic complexity in both direction of the range for DC4 than DC3.

Although I would not call DC4 having brightness per se -- as this might suggest a form of negative connotation, I would call its tone subtly more brilliant than DC3.... Perhaps more at home in a Helden/symphonic context than in the more traditional bessonian golden mellowness of a BBB.

It would be interesting to hear some further clips, perhaps recorded in a slightly more resonant venue, and with excursions into the lower and upper range of the repertoire.

Regards, Guido
          M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
          Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
          Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• John Morgan
            • Apr 2014

These two are really hard for me to distinguish between. They both sound very good to my aging ears. The DC4 might be a wee bit edgier, whereas the DC3 is a wee bit warmer. That is about all I can discern. I think I am starting to like getting old. Everything (that you can hear) sounds pretty good. And I never hear anything starting with "Honey, can you.......?"
            John Morgan
            The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
            Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
            1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
            Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
            Year Round Except Summer:
            Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
            KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
            Summer Only:
            Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
            Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

I'll see what I can do about clips from a larger room. In a couple weeks I have a tentative recording session planned in my church's sanctuary, and Sara won't be there. Do a mouthpiece comparison would fit well.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                • Feb 2006

The warmth in the lower range is enhanced with the DC3. If it doesn't effect endurance I'd say go with that one. Intonation and musicality seem similar - not as clear as the DC4/4AL comparison. My problem with switching mouthpieces always comes when I'm tired or not focused - how well will a given note speak at pianissimo in the middle of a piece of music.
                Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                K&G 3.5D
                ---------------------------------
                Founder and Solo Euphonium
                San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• guidocorona
                  • Jun 2018

Thank you so much Dave, will be fabulous if you manage to record one further comparison of DC3 vs Dc4 from the more resonant sanctuary.

Hope you will be able to include some material that exemplifies the broad expressive and frequency range of the eupho.

Saluti, Guido

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Did this a while ago a FORGOT to post it here! It is a DC4/DC3 comparison in my church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZH7Q2kR74

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• hyperbolica
                      • Feb 2018

It's great to hear you play these side by side. I've typically been a fan of some of the larger sizes simply because of how they feel to play, really without regard for how they sound. I tend to think I can make it sound the way I want, but I can't change the feel. But I'm probably wrong about that. I started playing big 1 1/4g mouthpieces on euph, but I realized after a while that didn't really work. Then I tried 1 1/2 size, and it was better, but still not right. My trombone mouthpieces didn't really work either. Recently I've been playing SM3U and then SM3. As I gradually get smaller, the horns starts sounding better and better.

Your recordings show the sound difference in clarity and brilliance with the smaller mouthpiece. It's not something I'd probably pick up on without hearing the two pieces side by side like that. I will look for smaller yet mouthpieces to get the mud out of my sound. Thanks so much!
                      Last edited by hyperbolica; 09-07-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• davewerden
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hyperbolica View Post
                        It's great to hear you play these side by side. I've typically been a fan of some of the larger sizes simply because of how they feel to play, really without regard for how they sound. I tend to think I can make it sound the way I want, but I can't change the feel. But I'm probably wrong about that. I started playing big 1 1/4g mouthpieces on euph, but I realized after a while that didn't really work. Then I tried 1 1/2 size, and it was better, but still not right. My trombone mouthpieces didn't really work either. Recently I've been playing SM3U and then SM3. As I gradually get smaller, the horns starts sounding better and better.

Your recordings show the sound difference in clarity and brilliance with the smaller mouthpiece. It's not something I'd probably pick up on without hearing the two pieces side by side like that. I will look for smaller yet mouthpieces to get the mud out of my sound. Thanks so much!
                        That is something I've been struggling with for years. Obviously we want a large, dark (at least to some extent) sound for a euphonium. If we go too far in that direction we lose the singing quality of the euphonium and start to sound more like a tuba (Note: I'm not saying tubas can't be made to "sing" in the hands of a good player!). I'll restate that if my primary job was playing the Holst 2nd Suite, my 4AL did all I could ask. And frankly it was a fine all-around mouthpiece. But we play many styles of music, including some that are well-packed with fast notes, and a smaller mouthpiece with better focus will help those notes be more audible. That helps the lines be more apparent, which brings out the music to the audience.

In the middle of that last sentence I realized I could type words all day and not "decide" this issue. Recordings help us decide, and also feeling the mouthpiece on our chops as we blow air and play through different ranges. So I'll just say that for ME the DC4 was better OVERALL than the DC3 or 4AL.
                        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                        Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• guidocorona
                          • Jun 2018

Hello Dave, after listening to your comparisons of 4AL vs DC3 and DC4, I received a wonderful birthday gift in the form of a brand spanking new DC4 in silver plate livery... That was about a month ago, and am still happily suffering from acute Honey-moon syndrome.

While my technical skills are still substandard, I found DC4 to produce a silky shimmering tone on my Wessex Festivo, which makes me fall in love with euphonium even more deeply than before.

Amongst other things, it seems that DC4 makes me a little more precise and snappier in transitions between notes than with SM4U and 4AL..... And while I occasionally miss the slightly darker and perhaps bolder tone of SM4U, there is just something magic with DC4 that I have not experienced with the other two mouthpieces... And yes, I am practicing more

Regards, Guido
                          Last edited by guidocorona; 09-07-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• guidocorona
                            • Jun 2018

Hi Mike (MikeTeachesClass), just sent you a PM... Re: DC2 & DC3.

Regards, Guido

Comment

• iMav
                              • May 2011

How does the Alliance E2 fit in with these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	B5E41DD3-E410-4D9E-8320-9B1F7EDEE6D3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	979.0 KB
ID:	118091
                              Groups
                              Valley City Community Band
                              Valley City State University Concert Band
                              2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

Working...
                              X