• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by iMav View Post
    How does the Alliance E2 fit in with these?
    It is going to larger than the 3. The difference between the 3 and the 2 is greater than the difference between the 4 and 3.

I have not tried it, but I'm guessing the 2 is among the mps that I think are too large for most euphonium players (unless they are doing a lot of bass parts and not many high parts).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

I definitely don’t like cup diameters smaller than 26.00 mm. (And like ones that are right at 26.00 mm)

I’m anxious to give a few bigger ones a try. Have these on the way:

- Warburton Demondrae Thurman - 26.16 mm
      - Alliance E2 - 26.40 mm
      - K&G Euphonium 3D - 26.70 mm
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• Woltz
        • Mar 2022

There are minor differences across the range but basics from memory...
        E2 is a 2 rim with a deep cup.
        E3A is a 3 rim with a standard cup.
        DC3 is a 3 rim with deep cup and extra mass.
        DC4 is a 4 rim with deep cup and extra mass.

I've used the E2, E3A and DC3. Here is my experience, noting that everyone is very different with mouthpieces. The E3A, paired nicely with a Sovereign I was playing previously but I didn't like it on my new Prestige, I found it exacerbated the intonation challenges with the Prestige. I tried the E2 for a while on the Prestige, mainly because that was the mouthpiece it came with. It was really nice for low work and I found it really easy to get my intonation spot on but as Dave mentioned it's definitely more taxing on high parts and the minor benefits weren't worth the trade off in my view. The DC3 hits a sweet spot for me and seems to pair well with my Prestige. It's not perfect (no mouthpiece is) but it strikes the best balance for me as a player. I also got quite a few positive comments about my tone after I started using the DC3. So, after using the DC3 for a couple of months now, I've got no desire to go mouthpiece shopping again. Although it should be noted that I'm not someone who changes mouthpieces a lot. (e.g., I used the same trombone mouthpiece for 15 years (6 1/2AL) and when I changed it was only a small one to a 5GS which I've used for the past 5 years)
        SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
        Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
        Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Comment

• superted
          • Dec 2007

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9428[/ATTACH]
          Steven Mead mouthpiece development path
          Wick 3AL -> Wick SM3 -> Wick SM Classic Series -> Alliance 'Mead' Series -> Wick SM Ultra Series -> Wick SM Ultra X -> Wick SM Ultra XR

The Alliance E2 fits into the Alliance 'Mead' Series - it's a 'clearer' version of the mouthpiece that is the next size up from your SM4U.
          (Alliance size 2 is the same as Bach/Wick size 3)

The DC Series development path:
          Wick 4AL -> DC3 -> DC Series
          (Alliance size 3 is the same as Bach/Wick size 4)

The DC3 is a tamed (refined) version of a 4AL. The sound on the DC3 is more focused, but the 4AL is much more relaxed to play.

The problem with developing mouthpieces (and engineering in general), is that they rarely gain something without having to give something up.
          So it's more about what qualities matter to you, and finding the right mouthpiece that matches your preferences.

If you are comfortable with Bach/Wick 3 rims (~26.4mm), but find the E2 too much work then the following mouthpieces might work for you:
          Alliance E2a
          SM3XR

Both are large rims, with shallower cups which will help range and stamina. The SM3XR does not sound shallow, I haven't tried a E2a.

Regards,
          ted
          Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
          Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Comment

• iMav
            • May 2011

Originally posted by superted View Post
            <snip>
            Regards,
            ted
            Thanks for the info Ted! Very helpful.

I have a few mouthpieces with a cup diameter larger than 26mm on order…once I find out how I like those, I think I’ll be well on my way to finding the features (and “compromises”) that suit me best.
            Groups
            Valley City Community Band
            Valley City State University Concert Band
            2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• Pat
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by superted View Post
              Regards,
              ted
              Great review! I played mouthpiece games aggressively while on trumpet and found big differences from one to another. With the euphonium I did a bit of that at the start but gravitated to my 4AL as the best compromise of tone, responsiveness, and range. I have aggressively avoided poking money into the euphonium version of mouthpiece wars and just work hard getting the best sound from the 4AL that I can. I do enjoy the side by side comparisons, but I'm sure that I could give Dave a cardboard tube with any old mouthpiece attached and he'd sound better than I'd be able to accomplish on my best day with the best gear money can buy. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice!
              Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

Working...
              X