Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I do?

This is also not the first horn with a tuning trigger that I've had problems with. Without exception, almost every other horn I've ever played with a tuning trigger has BUZZED from the main tuning slide. I don't know what it is about my playing but I get a lot of resonance from the main tuning slide assembly. The two Geneva's I had buzzed and could not be fixed. The first Yamaha Neo with trigger buzzed. The second one buzzed but WAY less and I was able to mitigate it with heavier tuning slide grease to the point that it didn't buzz at all. As soon as that grease wore down though, the buzz returned. This E3 is in between the two Yamahas - I can manage the buzz with heavy grease for a time but it always returns within a day or two.

The only euphonium I have had with the trigger is my current Besson Prestige 2052 from 2007: it is absolutely perfect, it works great and it has never given me any problems with buzzing or anything. When I bought it water was leaking from the slide: I solved it by expanding the end of the tube from the inside just enough to prevent the water from escaping without preventing the slide from sliding. As a lubricant I use the red Selmer grease for slides to which I add a few drops of pistons oil to obtain the right degree of sliding: perfect sealing and sliding speed are guaranteed for a few months of daily use. On this euphonium I would not be comfortable without the trigger, as the sixths partial are terribly high.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Bit of another update:
    Back from vacation and called my technician who received the box of parts from Miel. The redesign is a pretty big change to the main tuning slide. Previously the main tuning slide would insert on both ends into the tubing of the horn. They have changed one leg of the tuning slide to go outside of the horn tubing. The idea that this will fix some aspects of the slide tolerances somehow while increasing resonance? Don't most trombone main tuning slides work this way, one leg being inverted from the other? Anyway that's why more parts were needed, it's not a simple fix to retrofit a horn of an older design. The retrofit should be completed by Monday so I'll probably start a new thread with pictures to describe the new design. Hope it works!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Bit of another update:
    Back from vacation and called my technician who received the box of parts from Miel. The redesign is a pretty big change to the main tuning slide. Previously the main tuning slide would insert on both ends into the tubing of the horn. They have changed one leg of the tuning slide to go outside of the horn tubing. The idea that this will fix some aspects of the slide tolerances somehow while increasing resonance? Don't most trombone main tuning slides work this way, one leg being inverted from the other? Anyway that's why more parts were needed, it's not a simple fix to retrofit a horn of an older design. The retrofit should be completed by Monday so I'll probably start a new thread with pictures to describe the new design. Hope it works!
    If I understand correctly, I think that's called a reverse slide. Usually (not sure if that is why in this case) it is done so the sound moving through the tubing can slide OVER the joint instead of "bumping" into the end of the slide. On a bike, it is the difference between driving off a curb instead of driving onto a curb. The latter is harder on the tires and rim!
    Last edited by davewerden; 06-10-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I haven't seen any pictures or anything yet, just what Scott described to me over the phone. But yes, I think that is right, reverse slide.
    What is a reverse leadpipe? - JP Musical Instruments
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12