Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brands / models to avoid for new purchase

What brands / models to avoid for new purchase

Hello, I used to be a euph performance major under Sam Pilafian back in the late 90's. I haven't touched a horn since 2003. And I sold them all. Shame. So now my wife wants me to get a euph so we can play duets and join the local band and such. I see a lot of posts about what euphs people like so I thought I'd ask what euphs should I avoid (due to bad craftsmanship, not good bang-for-the-buck, bad sound, etc)? I know answers will be subjective. I'm intrigued by these 1500-5000 dollar chinese horns. I really can't afford to dump 10k on this. Since I used to practice 30 hrs a week, I know I'll never be as good as I was, but I also refuse to play on a non-compensating or otherwise crappy instrument. Please help me avoid a mistake. Thank you!

Touchy question. It might be easier to recommend horns than to disqualify others. It looks like Wessex is the top choice in Chinese made stencil horns. The Sinfonico looks to be a step up on the Dolce. Beyond that, used professional model horns are available for reasonable prices. A favorite seems to be round stamp Besson models.

3. Are you looking for a new horn, or are you open to a used horn? Are you looking for an instrument immediately, or can you wait?

I feel like for 5K you could find almost any horn you want used if you wait a bit and find a good deal.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

I am ok with used horns for sure. Old Wilson and Besson models had intonation issues worse than my Old Yamaha Yep621, IMO, though. 5k is at the top of my range and I hesitate to pay that much. I have no idea how this is going to go once I get a horn.

Yeah, I didn't want to ask it the other way because I think there are a lot of threads on what euphs people like already and so many options now. But perhaps that was a mistake nonetheless. Wessex looks promising. The JP Sterling model (4-5 grand?) looks like a top choice for Chinese, also, but it's more expensive. *Shrugs*

6. Are you local to any shops that you can try instruments? I think there are some places open now. Dillon allows testing instruments for sure.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Very soon a few of us on the forum will be evaluating the Wessex Sinfonico, which sells for around $3K (during the next month or so). I personally own an Adams E3 as my main horn, but also own a Wessex Dolce (which sold for about $1,200 a few years ago, it is a little more now), and the Dolce is quite a good horn. The Sinfonico is/should be a step up from the Dolce, will know soon.

And, if you happen upon a nice used top end horn, that could work as well.

For new compensating and inexpensive, I would look at Wessex Dolce or Austin Custom Brass Doubler (both reviewed here on the forum, the Doubler recently by a group of folks here, the Wessex by many on the forum). They are both in the mid $1K's. The Sinfoncio at about $3K is a clear step up from the Dolce and Doubler.

If you really want a don't get horn list, I would advise against anything selling for $500 or less new, and anything made from plastic. There are a couple of countries I would probably not by a euphonium from, but am hesitant to mention them here. And those countries would be non-starters for me based on the quality of the instruments.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by treyd View Post
    I am ok with used horns for sure. Old Wilson and Besson models had intonation issues worse than my Old Yamaha Yep621, IMO, though. 5k is at the top of my range and I hesitate to pay that much. I have no idea how this is going to go once I get a horn.
    You could always search for another 621. They do come up for sale from time to time although they stopped selling them in the US after they introduced the 641 so I don't think there are a lot out there. It isn't a compensating horn but I think it's a great horn.

There seems to be a lot of used horns on the market now so if you're patient you're likely to get a good deal. I picked up a demo model Yamaha 642 Neo for just a little over $3K. It didn't have a scratch on it and looked like it had never really been played.

Arul

Mine was compensating, so maybe I have the model number wrong. It's been so long. Maybe the 641 is what I had? Anyway, thank you!

10. I'm not sure if you're interested, but joshealejo is selling this interesting instrument:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...m#.YKvmQI2Sm70

It's definitely unique...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast