Thread: Yet another new horn thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yet another new horn thread

So, what with the reduced activity over the past year, I haven't been spending my personal "mad money" as fast as I used to, and it has been accumulating to the tune of well over $1k. I did some thinking (yeah, I know -- bad idea), and now sitting in my email queue is an invoice from Wessex Chicago for an EP105-L Duplex from the August-September shipment. I have it in mind to sell my Jinbao baritone (not brass-banding any more) and my 4-valve Jinbao oval (I can get the same sound from the 'bone bell on the duplex), but even if I don't, I can cover the overage in a couple months, and the household account won't even notice.

Anybody want to try to talk me out of going ahead?
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

As someone who plays a sister-horn to your Jinbao baritone, I would say don't sell that one. But that is completely coming from a nostalgia and emotional based appeal. But if it helps you acquire a new toy/tool/instrument that will bring you joy and avoid duplicating instrumental efforts, suit yourself. It sounds like you have been smart about affording it, so now all you have to do is decide what you want (smile).

I may know a young man who could benefit from a second hand instrument. But I would have to talk to his parents and teachers first.

Good luck with any sale you decide on and with the new two headed horn. I would love to try my chops out on one of those someday, just t say that I had (grin).

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Good luck with any sale you decide on and with the new two headed horn. I would love to try my chops out on one of those someday, just t say that I had (grin).
    I've been wanting a "two-headed horn" since 1960, when my father and I bought the Conn 86I. The old man who sold it to us also had a gold-plated Conn double-bell naked-lady double-bell. I played a little on it, but given that I was only 14 at the time, I didn't do it justice. Unfortunately, he wasn't selling it.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Go for it!! Always great to get a new horn. I almost went for a Conn DB recently, but then decided against it. I still would like to have a DB some day. Let us know what you do, David! But play this horn before selling off any of your arsenal would be my advice.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)