Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new horn thread

Another new horn thread

Shortly after being hit with the Brass Banding bug it occurred to me that my trusty and wonderful Willson 2900 was not the right horn for the role. Moved from the 51D to various Wick mouthpieces which helped but not enough. Truthfully at that time a new horn wasn’t in the budget but more so I couldn’t find a euphonium I liked better. A Prestige had the right sound but the intonation issues were not acceptable to me. The idea of using a trigger to fix a design flaw makes no sense to me.

You probably know where this is headed. I placed my order this week for an Adams E3. .60 Sterling Silver bell and brushed lacquer finish. I’m having the main tuning slide shortened by 3/8”.

Many thanks to this website and input from Dave and John. The hard parts will be the wait and getting adjusted to a new horn after 40 years with my 2900.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Whoo-Hoo!!!! Excellent, excellent. Did I say excellent??!! Sounds just about like my horn. You will absolutely LOVE it!!!!! If I were to ever get another horn, which I won't, I might have the main slide shortened just a wee bit, although I have pretty much figured out how to get things to work fine on mine. I love it after more than 5 years, and cannot ever imagine replacing it for another main horn.

Yeah, the wait. I had to wait 6 months once I placed the order, part of that time for entire bell engraving. Boy do I love that horn. I will be very anxious to hear how you like it. Also need to see pictures, many pictures. And make sure you take the pictures AFTER you finish slobbering all over it. Have you played one of these terrific horns? I had not ever played or touched an Adams before getting mine.

Very happy for you Michael. Nothing quite like getting a new horn, and then again, nothing at all quite like getting an Adams E3!!!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Sounds like a great buy, especially from how John is raving so much about it.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Thanks John and Christiane. My dealer was quoted 12-14 weeks so that’s encouraging. No I have not played one but from the discussions here I’m very confident of my decision. I promise to take numerous detailed pictures and tempt others towards this brand!

Michael, that’s going to be a long 12-14 weeks. I’m sure it will be worth it when it eventually arrives.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

John Morgan - Do I remember correctly? You wanted to get some custom engraving to commemorate a long history of horn playing and perhaps some significant anniversary of yours? I am remembering a post where someone had asked for advice on what they should have done for a custom engraving that they were getting. Was that you? If it was, what did you end up getting? I don't remember seeing any resolution to the great "What should I get?" question. Pictures too, if you feel up for it (smile). Thanks in advance.

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    John Morgan - Do I remember correctly? You wanted to get some custom engraving to commemorate a long history of horn playing and perhaps some significant anniversary of yours? I am remembering a post where someone had asked for advice on what they should have done for a custom engraving that they were getting. Was that you? If it was, what did you end up getting? I don't remember seeing any resolution to the great "What should I get?" question. Pictures too, if you feel up for it (smile). Thanks in advance.

- Sara
    Hi Sara,

I had mine engraved and used the same engraving that Matt van Emmerick had done on his horn. He is a world class player from Australia. I spoke with him and Dave Werden before ordering the horn. I did a pretty extensive review in 2 parts on my Adams. The engraving I had done was simply what I had seen on Matt's horn and I really like it. Here are the two reviews and many pictures:

Part 1: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...w#.YKbaanmSmM8

Part 2: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...w#.YKbaqXmSmM8

As you can see, I love pictures!!

John
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

8. Congratulations!

John, that's a beautiful horn.

Of course I've seen this before, John, but I just HAD to stop by and look at the purdy horn again! The engraving really does add something.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks, Dave!! Unlike me, the horn gets prettier with age. I absolutely love my Adams. By the way, Miel (Adams) retired the engraving pattern that was put on my horn after I had it done. Not sure why, but now I have a real collector's horn I suppose. Along with Matt van Emmerick, but wait, Matt switched from the Adams to an Eastman I think. Why he did that one can only wonder (and come up with no good answer). I don't know who ended up with his Adams, maybe a colleague in Australia. But there are only 2 like mine. And mine has my name engraved on it (wife request, er, demand, so that I wouldn't be tempted to sell it - no worries about that!!).
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast