Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another new horn thread

Actually, Matthew Van Emmerik is now a Shires artist and has adopted the Q41 euphonium. See:

https://www.seshires.com/euphoniumartists

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Update: the Adam’s Custom E3 is here! Arrival was 2-4 weeks ahead of quoted delivery. Woo Hoo! To review, I ordered the .60mm model with the Sterling Silver bell. The finish is the same as Dave and John’s. No trigger.

A few initial impressions: The craftsmanship is impeccable. Flawless as far as I can see. It gets loud, with a slight edge. Coming from a Willson 2900, the tone is very different, broader and less focused. Intonation seems as advertised but it’s too early to say for certain as my chops are weak as I sold the Willson about 6 weeks ago and have been practicing sporadically on an old bell front horn I bought for use in MSU Alumni Marching Band reunions. Once I get my embouchure in shape, I’ll post more of my thoughts and some pictures. Thanks to all for your encouragement in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Update: the Adam’s Custom E3 is here! Arrival was 2-4 weeks ahead of quoted delivery. Woo Hoo! To review, I ordered the .60mm model with the Sterling Silver bell. The finish is the same as Dave and John’s. No trigger.

A few initial impressions: The craftsmanship is impeccable. Flawless as far as I can see. It gets loud, with a slight edge. Coming from a Willson 2900, the tone is very different, broader and less focused. Intonation seems as advertised but it’s too early to say for certain as my chops are weak as I sold the Willson about 6 weeks ago and have been practicing sporadically on an old bell front horn I bought for use in MSU Alumni Marching Band reunions. Once I get my embouchure in shape, I’ll post more of my thoughts and some pictures. Thanks to all for your encouragement in this thread.
    Looking forward to hearing your further impressions!

Just a note, which I have pointed out before (and have to remind myself about now and then). A heavy, well braced horn like a Willson can take being "pushed" into action. A horn like the Adams works best with a cooperative approach. The idea of making the horn from sheet metal is to give it the freedom to resonate along with your playing. So you don't want to "blow through" the horn. You want to resonate your tone production in the mouthpiece and then work on cooperating with the instrument. When you are doing it right, you will feel more vibration under your hands as the tubing and your vibrating column of sound are in a teamwork deal. Gee, that sounds wispy and silly, doesn't it? Basically, when I want to play loudly, I feel like I'm putting in a larger column of air, not forcing air at high speed.

Someday I'll figure out how to express this!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your further impressions!

Just a note, which I have pointed out before (and have to remind myself about now and then). A heavy, well braced horn like a Willson can take being "pushed" into action. A horn like the Adams works best with a cooperative approach. The idea of making the horn from sheet metal is to give it the freedom to resonate along with your playing. So you don't want to "blow through" the horn. You want to resonate your tone production in the mouthpiece and then work on cooperating with the instrument. When you are doing it right, you will feel more vibration under your hands as the tubing and your vibrating column of sound are in a teamwork deal. Gee, that sounds wispy and silly, doesn't it? Basically, when I want to play loudly, I feel like I'm putting in a larger column of air, not forcing air at high speed.

Someday I'll figure out how to express this!
    Thank you David. I’ll have to work on that concept. The horn surely vibrates way more than the 2900.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Ditto what Dave said. I think it took me a bit to really get the most out of my Adams. I mean, I liked it from the very start, but I "learned" how to approach it and play it better as time went on. I can get plenty loud if I need to.

Another way to look at it is by using my helicopter analogy. I learned how to fly a helicopter by first flying a TH-55 trainer (bubble job, 2 seater). It was pretty manual in how you handled it (as opposed to big time hydraulics and power stuff with the big copters). Then I transitioned into the Huey, which was way bigger, heavier, stronger, mightier, etc. But the controls felt like a bunch of power steering things that made flying this big helicopter easier. It took less effort than flying the little one. It responded immediately to my inputs.

Sort of like the Adams. Not that it is bigger, heavier, stronger, etc. than other top line horns. But that it feels like I have "power steering" when I play it. It responds easier than others. When I handle it right, it just really sings.

Now then, that sounded much more ridiculous than Dave's attempt above.

Michael, I am anxious to hear more from you about your E3. And pictures are always very welcome here!! Have fun with your new instrument!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Here are a few photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F078B111-8C25-4782-B16C-D231141C373A.jpeg   B0AF26D0-895A-4935-863C-484180310C67.jpeg   864E0117-2629-489A-9EBB-8CDE69BF048E.jpeg  

Gorgeous looking horn!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Beautiful horn, Michael!! Mine is now over five years old, and I still love it and love looking at it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Your Adams is a beauty. Enjoy!
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

A few thoughts after the first week. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Dave and John's comments about letting the horn resonate. It happens more often as time goes by but it's hard to describe what I'm doing differently. The horn seems to resonate more when I'm trying the least. The E3 is incredibly responsive meaning I don't have to work as hard. And this is true in all registers.

I'm trying to figure out the intonation and the AGR. G concert in the treble clef staff is sharp and works best using 3rd valve. The C concert below that staff requires the 4th valve slide to be out 3/4". Otherwise it's very consistent. It's SO nice not to have to play G3 1 and 3!

Once I get into better playing shape and buy a good digital recorder, I'll post some excerpts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12