Thread: Trumpet / Euphonium Doubler Mouthpiece?

Trumpet / Euphonium Doubler Mouthpiece?

I am a trumpet player trying to adapt quickly to euphonium for my church orchestra. The standard type beginner euphonium mouthpiece that came with churches older Yamaha someone donated years ago seems deeper than my thinner less beefier lips can fill. Medium notes in staff are coming together well, but above and below staff are a real challenge. I could really use your expertise to help me get better ASAP and maybe not totally lose my trumpet chops, which at 61 are nothing to write home about, but are my first love.
    Allen Murdock

2. You could try out a shallower mouthpiece until you get used to and then gradually move to deeper mouthpieces if you want to. Mr. Werden has this page to help you find a mouthpiece:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/trombone.cfm

I'm not sure what mouthpiece you're using, but if you can identify it, you can try to find a shallower one based on the page above.

The "Cup Depth" column "S" means shallow.

You might take a look at this instructional video where I demonstrate how to properly build your high range strength by combining chops strength and air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJ4Gb9aBTE

(It would work for trumpet as well, BTW).

Euphonium typically requires a greater quantity of air but at a slower velocity than trumpet. And the larger mouthpiece allows more of your lip to vibrate, but it takes some time to get the "extra" portion of your lip engaged. So patience is involved, too.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. I'm now a year and a half into taking up euphonium and switching from trumpet/french horn. At first I wondered how you guys found enough air to play even one phrase. Now I don't think about it much. I'm not sure when that happened. I also remember getting sore large facial muscles. Still happens sometimes. So for the OP, just keep working on it. It will happen. Oh, and by the way, within two months I could play anything thrown at me in community band. There is carry over from small brass instruments to larger ones.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Thanks! This was just what I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor13:4 View Post
    You could try out a shallower mouthpiece until you get used to and then gradually move to deeper mouthpieces if you want to. Mr. Werden has this page to help you find a mouthpiece:

http://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/trombone.cfm

I'm not sure what mouthpiece you're using, but if you can identify it, you can try to find a shallower one based on the page above.

The "Cup Depth" column "S" means shallow.
    After a trip to my local band instrument store, who had nothing but standard stuff, I went on line and got the Bach 22D. It should be in next week! Thanks very much!
    Allen Murdock

Dave, I saw this link even before my post on an earlier thread and determined to use it to build up my endurance and performance. You have been a GREAT help! Thanks so much.

Best regards,
    Allen Murdock
    Allen Murdock