Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Marzan/Willson 2975 or other 4-Front Valve Compensating Euphonium

1. WTB: Marzan/Willson 2975 or other 4-Front Valve Compensating Euphonium

I guess I'll throw this out here. I am interested in finding a 4 front-valve compensating euphonium, but not a Wessex Festivo.

I believe that's limited to:
    Willson/Marzan 2975 or the Canadian Brass version of this
    Besson "50 Medals of Honor" Detachable Front Bell made in the 1950s (yes, I missed buying that one that was posted a week ago)

If you have one for sale, please send me a PM, thanks.
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-11-2021 at 01:50 AM.

David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

3. I know...I can't find myself to pay that much.

You see, I saw this for $1200 and it didn't get a bid and the person relisted for $1100.

Then, I was actually was the only other bidder on this when it was re-listed at $1100. Being at work, I couldn't monitor it and lost to Quinn who got it for $1200. I should have put a higher max bid, but oh well.

Since I lost the chance to basically get this for $1200 when it was first listed...I can't find myself paying more for it, it just feels wrong! =)

Good for Quinn though, I'm sure he'll make a profit on this, it's a nice horn.

The original listing has a ‘Make Offer’ option... now also a second listing with a starting bid of $2,299 auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265167236849

Also listed on Reverb with a ‘Make Offer’ option-
    https://reverb.com/item/40734309-bes...sn-143871-rare
    Last edited by Shinn; 05-20-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Has anyone actually played one of these?

I think this is the horn the Wessex Festivo prototype was developed from. If it’s actually like the Festivo, it wouldn’t work for me anyway.

Anybody?

6. This is the model that Wessex started with for the Festivo.

What about the Festivo did you not like?

I heard the spacing or ergonomics for this one makes it difficult for small hands.
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-21-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor13:4 View Post
    This is the model that Wessex started with for the Festivo.

What about the Festivo did you not like?

I heard the spacing or ergonomics for this one makes it difficult for small hands.
    It (the Festivo) has a beautiful sound, looks amazing, and the intonation is great. For ME, with my bad shoulders, arms, and tenosynovitis, I was never able to figure out a way to hold it that would be comfortable for me. I tried everything I could think of, and nothing really allowed me to relax properly while holding it.

The Wessex people tried to help (it was purchased second hand) but what with Covid, I was never able to get it to a repairman who was able to take care of what I would have needed to have done. Oddly enough, my Conn is absolutely a perfect fit for me in every way.

It’s kind of surprising to me that the men who played the Connstellations were obviously typical sized men, and yet I haven’t seen or read any complaints about the Connstellations being “too small”. The mythical bigger bore, large shank receiver Connstellation continues to be my dream.

I’m glad you posted the “small hands” comment, because although I have a medium sized woman’s hand, the Festivo always felt too big both in my right hand and overall. I’d played the other Wessex Euphonium previous to buying the Festivo, and it didn’t have the “too big” feel of the Festivo.

Oh well, you and I are still waiting for the “right” horn but it’s out there somewhere. Thank you for your post!

Hello 1Cor13, I have owned and enjoyed a Wessex Festivo for a couple of years. My hands are rather narrow, and my right pinky is not the most muscular in the world. Yet, I found the arched arrangement of Festivo's piston to be quite ergonomic and to easily fit the moderate reach of my right hand fingertips.

Yet I admit that, while I can operate the 4th valve with the right hand pinky if I really want to, I much prefer to dedicate to its operation the more muscular and longer index or middle finger of my left hand.... With these, I control the 4th valve with total comfort.

As for valves 1, 2, and 3, unless a player had very unique hands, their position, ergonomic arrangement, and inter-valve distance are likely to be found utterly graceful.

Bottomline for me is that I discovered absolutely no issue with Festivo's ergonomics, and I found its design absolutely natural and comfortable from day one.... Which by the way, was the very first time I held a low brass horn in my hands, let alone a euphonium.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 05-22-2021 at 10:06 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

9. Thank you, Guido.

I'm personally not interested in a Festivo for other reasons not related to ergonomics. I appreciate your feedback though!

guidocorona, Could you hazard a guess as to whether this Besson can be held parallel to the body?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast