Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Marzan/Willson 2975 or other 4-Front Valve Compensating Euphonium

Hi Ann, unfortunately I can only speak of the Wessex Festivo, as I have not tried the original Besson, and being blind, I can't tell from photos how close its critical design is to my Festivo.

Talking about festivo, for my own max coimfort, I keep it on my right thigh, slightly turned clockwise by some 15 degrees, and with the bell inclined to the left by another 15 degrees.... This last one is to optimize the height of the mouthpiece. I am a smidgeon below 5'10" tall, thus the inclination.

On the other hand, I have just tried right now to straighten the horn completely upright and hold parallel to my trunk, without any clockwise rotation or left-tilting of the bell, and it is completely possible for me to play the eupho this way with only minor neck stretching because of the lack of left-tilt.

Hope this helps... I'd be happy to chat over phone if you like more info.

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

2. Quinn had contacted me to offer it at $2500 before he listed it. I'll ask them if it's playable parallel.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor13:4 View Post
    Quinn had contacted me to offer it at $2500 before he listed it. I'll ask them if it's playable parallel.
    Much appreciated!

4. This is what they replied when I asked if you can play this parallel to your body:

"Here is what my brass tech had to say about your question. For reference she is about 5'4".

"I guess that would depend on the size of the user. For me, sort of, but the pistons have a really wide grip for my small hands. The bell was positioned about at my shoulder""
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Thank you both, guidocorona and 1cor13:4 - I guess I have to give Up my dream of a front valve Besson.

6. Unfortunately, I think the Marzan's also don't play parallel to the body, so I'm not sure they would fit you either. At least the non-compensating one didn't according to someone else on these forums.

Reverb has a Conn 4-valve baritone listing.

https://reverb.com/item/32728159-con...SABEgKxhvD_BwE
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

That “baritone” is an eye-catcher isn’t it? Unfortunately I’ve been spoiled playing my Connstellation.

I went to a local music store the other day and tried holding a 3/4 Yamaha front valve tuba, and for my right hand it was FINE. If I were to go that route, I’d need to use a tuba stand anyway. I also do FINE with the Wessex Duplex, which I can hold very comfortably.

My ultimate goal continues to be to play Gr. 3+ concert band/wind ensemble music, whether on euphonium or tuba. I considered percussion years ago but by now I’ve gotten so committed to doing whatever I can on a brass instrument, I’ve taken percussion of the list.

I’m still open to suggestions, so if anyone sees some obscure euphonium or small Tuba that doesn’t require to be angled, please post it.

Not a front valve, but possibly unique.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COUESNON-4V....m46890.l49286
    Last edited by Shinn; 05-25-2021 at 08:15 AM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Hello Ann, as some of the more senior members of the DWerden.com gang will soon be testing the Wessex Sinfonico…. They should be able to report back on whether or not Sinfonico can be played upright / parallel to the body.

Also, have you thought of calling up Wessex and talking to them directly about your particular ergonomic requirements. They will be able to tell you right away which ones of their three euphonium models and several smaller tubas in F and Eb can be comfortably played upright. Finally, there is the Wessex French Tuba in C, which I fiddled with very briefly at the last ITAG in 2019.... It's a little smaller/shorter than a euphonium.... Unfortunately I just can't remember if I played it upright or inclined.

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast