X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Cor13:4
    • Feb 2021

Front Valve Compensating Euphoniums

I've only seen the Marzan 2975, those Bessons that were made for the American market in the mid 1900s and the Wessex Festivo.

Are there any other modern, quality front valve Euphoniums? I've always preferred that layout.

I've been interested in finding one, but for personal reasons I'm not interested in a Wessex Festivo and I never see the 2975s sold (do they still make these?).

BTW, someone made a double bell out of a Marzan 2975...

http://web.archive.org/web/200512280...S/DB/euph.html

Isn't that fascinating!
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16
  • Fujiifilm
    • Mar 2011

Willson still produces the 2975, though I believe they are special order. Their booth had one on display at ITEC in 2019.

For compensating front-action models, I think the Wessex Festivo, Willson/Marzan 2975, and the old Bessons that you mentioned are the only ones.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Comment

• bbocaner
      • May 2009

Of course there's the Canadian Brass brand marketed by Getzen which was a re-branded Willson/Marzan 2975.

The only other one I know of was a one-off rotary-valve compensating euphonium made by Laetzsch, I believe we've discussed it here before. Beautiful instrument, but I think they realized it was going to be too expensive and complicated to make more of them.
      --
      Barry

Comment

• Feb 2021

That's too bad. I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for a 2975...maybe I should have jumped on that Besson that was on eBay recently.

Thanks for the info.
        Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• bbocaner
          • May 2009

The Wessex isn't bad at all. I think the Willson is better, but it's not 4x better.
          --
          Barry

Comment

• Shinn
            • Feb 2020

Dillon’s has a Marzan for sale-

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-mar...ium-sn-711025/
            David Shinn
            Peninsula Concert Band
            Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
            1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
            1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
            1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
            Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• Feb 2021

Thanks, but I'll wait for a large shank, that's also outside my current price range.

Are the 2975s large shank?
              Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-04-2021, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Fujiifilm
                • Mar 2011

I'm pretty sure the 2975s Willson makes now come with large shank receivers, if I remember correctly from the last time I tried one.
                Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
                Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
                Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
                VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
                York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
                Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
                Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
                F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Comment

• tokuno
                  • Sep 2008

Yes, the Canadian Brass / Willson 2975 is large shank.

Comment

• hyperbolica
                    • Feb 2018

I have to say I'm sold on the front valve horns, just due to ergonomics. I have the Festivo and a King 2280. I can only play the King for so long, due to the position of the right arm, but I love the resonance, sound and the evenness of the range high to low. It goes past pedal F with no problem, blows away my bass bone in the upper and lower range. I find very little benefit in the compensating system. As a trombone player, I prefer just an adjustment slide/trigger on the main or 4th valve.

All that to say this. I have a 24i Connstellation on the way. 4v in front, non-comp, bell forward. I hope this is it for valved instruments for me. Well, maybe a flugabone for fun.

Comment

• Feb 2021

You know, I'd be fine with a non-compensating 4 front valve horn with a slide/trigger, but I would prefer a larger bore than the 24i.

I don't think there are any instruments that fit that either though.

Comment

• ann reid
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by hyperbolica View Post
                        I have to say I'm sold on the front valve horns, just due to ergonomics. I have the Festivo and a King 2280. I can only play the King for so long, due to the position of the right arm, but I love the resonance, sound and the evenness of the range high to low. It goes past pedal F with no problem, blows away my bass bone in the upper and lower range. I find very little benefit in the compensating system. As a trombone player, I prefer just an adjustment slide/trigger on the main or 4th valve.

All that to say this. I have a 24i Connstellation on the way. 4v in front, non-comp, bell forward. I hope this is it for valved instruments for me. Well, maybe a flugabone for fun.
                        And I have a Festivo and a wonderful Conn 24i, and I’m heading for a trial of the 2280.

The Festivo has a fine robust tone and very good intonation, but is awkward and uncomfortable for me to play. The Conn has a refined smooth tone and the ergonomics are perfect for me. The odd size shank limits mouthpiece choices and I can get a bigger sound on the Festivo with about the same breath support. I’ll never give up my Conn though.

I don’t know yet whether I’ll be as comfortable with the King 4 in a row valves on top, so I may try to rent one for a couple people months.

If there were a Conn 24 or 25 with a large shank and a slightly larger bore, that’s where I could stop searching. With all the conversations about bell front 4 valve horns on the internet, I can’t help but think that some maker could be doing well by us hobby
                        players who play with worn out joints and tendons but still want the best they can get in sound AND comfortable playing position. So I’m still looking.

Comment

• Feb 2021

Yes, basically, a large shank Conn 24i with a larger bore...that would probably be my perfect instrument.
                          Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-14-2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• hyperbolica
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by ann reid View Post
                            And I have a Festivo and a wonderful Conn 24i, and I’m heading for a trial of the 2280.

The Festivo has a fine robust tone and very good intonation, but is awkward and uncomfortable for me to play. The Conn has a refined smooth tone and the ergonomics are perfect for me. The odd size shank limits mouthpiece choices and I can get a bigger sound on the Festivo with about the same breath support. I’ll never give up my Conn though.

I don’t know yet whether I’ll be as comfortable with the King 4 in a row valves on top, so I may try to rent one for a couple people months.

If there were a Conn 24 or 25 with a large shank and a slightly larger bore, that’s where I could stop searching. With all the conversations about bell front 4 valve horns on the internet, I can’t help but think that some maker could be doing well by us hobby
                            players who play with worn out joints and tendons but still want the best they can get in sound AND comfortable playing position. So I’m still looking.
                            I find the Festivo extremely comfortable. What about it did you not like?

I think youll like the 2280, the tone is just a bit clearer and more resonant than the Festivo. I also find it speaks easier. The one crazy thing about the 2280 is that the receiver is bigger than a normal large shank trombone mouthpiece. I have a DW SM3U, and I had to put some tape around the shank to keep it from bottoming out in the receiver. Great range, fantastic tone, nice valves, and a very tricked out tuning system that you can really use for playing low notes in tune. The ergonomics of 4 on top doesn't work well for me.

If the 24i is a little smaller, I think that will be fine with me. The mouthpiece might be tricky, though. You said that the receiver is smaller than a large shank tbone, but larger than a small shank? What mouthpiece do people tend to use with the 24i? I have a whole stack of large and small shank tbone mouthpieces, so I should be covered one way or another. I am liking my new SM3u, though, and was hoping I could use that.

Comment

• Shinn
                              • Feb 2020

Older model…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124780378632
                              David Shinn
                              Peninsula Concert Band
                              Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                              1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                              1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                              1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                              Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X