Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ann reid
    • Jan 2019

I have arthritis in my right hand, tenosynovitis in my right wrist, and a partially detached rotor cuff in my right shoulder, so just the way the Festivo lies isn’t comfortable. I tried everything, no luck. The Wessex Duplex, while pretty hefty, is easier for me to hold. I just had the right hand thumb ring moved a little closer to the valves.

As to the Conn, I have the adapter that will work for using a tenor trombone mouthpiece, and also the original mouthpiece that was sold with the horn. Kelly’s sells two plastic mouthpieces that fit, in their European Shank size. A little larger than the trombone size, a little smaller than the standard large shank euphonium size.

My only concern about the Conn is that although I baby it, I’m not sure it can stand up to an hour of practice every day, given it’s advanced age.

Comment

• 1Cor13:4
      • Feb 2021

I wonder if a rotary tenor tuba like the Alexander 151 would be good for you? They're a bit pricey though.
      Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• ann reid
        • Jan 2019

Thank you for the thought.

I’ve considered that very carefully, but have never had a chance to try one. I would certainly not rule out the idea. Isn’t there at least one other besides the Alexander available that is similarly arranged?

After several failures I’ve realized that I’m a throwback to the early 60s when EVERYONE who played euphonium/baritone held them close to the body, and NO ONE worried about where their pinkies were.

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hello Ann, Wessex does offer a rotary Tenor Horn with a 10" bell, as well as a French C tuba with 10" bell and 6 pistons....

I checked them briefly at ITEC 2019.... They feel both definitely a little smaller and narrower than a euphonium, and than my Festivo in particular. In case the idea intrigued you, you will find them at:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...-and-baritones

Regards, Guido
          Last edited by guidocorona; 06-25-2021, 02:14 PM.
          M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
          Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
          Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• Shawn
            • May 2020

Hi Ann,
            Would the Ergobrass system, or something in that vein, solve any of the issues?
            https://www.ergobrass.com/euphonium/

S

Comment

Working...
            X