Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Valve Compensating Euphoniums

1. You know, I'd be fine with a non-compensating 4 front valve horn with a slide/trigger, but I would prefer a larger bore than the 24i.

I don't think there are any instruments that fit that either though.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbolica View Post
    I have to say I'm sold on the front valve horns, just due to ergonomics. I have the Festivo and a King 2280. I can only play the King for so long, due to the position of the right arm, but I love the resonance, sound and the evenness of the range high to low. It goes past pedal F with no problem, blows away my bass bone in the upper and lower range. I find very little benefit in the compensating system. As a trombone player, I prefer just an adjustment slide/trigger on the main or 4th valve.

All that to say this. I have a 24i Connstellation on the way. 4v in front, non-comp, bell forward. I hope this is it for valved instruments for me. Well, maybe a flugabone for fun.
    And I have a Festivo and a wonderful Conn 24i, and I’m heading for a trial of the 2280.

The Festivo has a fine robust tone and very good intonation, but is awkward and uncomfortable for me to play. The Conn has a refined smooth tone and the ergonomics are perfect for me. The odd size shank limits mouthpiece choices and I can get a bigger sound on the Festivo with about the same breath support. I’ll never give up my Conn though.

I don’t know yet whether I’ll be as comfortable with the King 4 in a row valves on top, so I may try to rent one for a couple people months.

If there were a Conn 24 or 25 with a large shank and a slightly larger bore, that’s where I could stop searching. With all the conversations about bell front 4 valve horns on the internet, I can’t help but think that some maker could be doing well by us hobby
    players who play with worn out joints and tendons but still want the best they can get in sound AND comfortable playing position. So I’m still looking.

3. Yes, basically, a large shank Conn 24i with a larger bore...that would probably be my perfect instrument.
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 05-14-2021 at 04:32 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    And I have a Festivo and a wonderful Conn 24i, and I’m heading for a trial of the 2280.

The Festivo has a fine robust tone and very good intonation, but is awkward and uncomfortable for me to play. The Conn has a refined smooth tone and the ergonomics are perfect for me. The odd size shank limits mouthpiece choices and I can get a bigger sound on the Festivo with about the same breath support. I’ll never give up my Conn though.

I don’t know yet whether I’ll be as comfortable with the King 4 in a row valves on top, so I may try to rent one for a couple people months.

If there were a Conn 24 or 25 with a large shank and a slightly larger bore, that’s where I could stop searching. With all the conversations about bell front 4 valve horns on the internet, I can’t help but think that some maker could be doing well by us hobby
    players who play with worn out joints and tendons but still want the best they can get in sound AND comfortable playing position. So I’m still looking.
    I find the Festivo extremely comfortable. What about it did you not like?

I think youll like the 2280, the tone is just a bit clearer and more resonant than the Festivo. I also find it speaks easier. The one crazy thing about the 2280 is that the receiver is bigger than a normal large shank trombone mouthpiece. I have a DW SM3U, and I had to put some tape around the shank to keep it from bottoming out in the receiver. Great range, fantastic tone, nice valves, and a very tricked out tuning system that you can really use for playing low notes in tune. The ergonomics of 4 on top doesn't work well for me.

If the 24i is a little smaller, I think that will be fine with me. The mouthpiece might be tricky, though. You said that the receiver is smaller than a large shank tbone, but larger than a small shank? What mouthpiece do people tend to use with the 24i? I have a whole stack of large and small shank tbone mouthpieces, so I should be covered one way or another. I am liking my new SM3u, though, and was hoping I could use that.

David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

I have arthritis in my right hand, tenosynovitis in my right wrist, and a partially detached rotor cuff in my right shoulder, so just the way the Festivo lies isn’t comfortable. I tried everything, no luck. The Wessex Duplex, while pretty hefty, is easier for me to hold. I just had the right hand thumb ring moved a little closer to the valves.

As to the Conn, I have the adapter that will work for using a tenor trombone mouthpiece, and also the original mouthpiece that was sold with the horn. Kelly’s sells two plastic mouthpieces that fit, in their European Shank size. A little larger than the trombone size, a little smaller than the standard large shank euphonium size.

My only concern about the Conn is that although I baby it, I’m not sure it can stand up to an hour of practice every day, given it’s advanced age.

7. I wonder if a rotary tenor tuba like the Alexander 151 would be good for you? They're a bit pricey though.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Thank you for the thought.

I’ve considered that very carefully, but have never had a chance to try one. I would certainly not rule out the idea. Isn’t there at least one other besides the Alexander available that is similarly arranged?

After several failures I’ve realized that I’m a throwback to the early 60s when EVERYONE who played euphonium/baritone held them close to the body, and NO ONE worried about where their pinkies were.

Hello Ann, Wessex does offer a rotary Tenor Horn with a 10" bell, as well as a French C tuba with 10" bell and 6 pistons....

I checked them briefly at ITEC 2019.... They feel both definitely a little smaller and narrower than a euphonium, and than my Festivo in particular. In case the idea intrigued you, you will find them at:

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections...-and-baritones

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 06-25-2021 at 02:14 PM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

10. Hi Ann,
    Would the Ergobrass system, or something in that vein, solve any of the issues?
    https://www.ergobrass.com/euphonium/

S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12