• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

FS: Classic Besson 4-Valve Compensating in Silver - 1970-ish Vintage

This is a nice example of the legendary Bessons, made around 1970, so it would have the medium shank receiver. (The long description in the listing has a big error about the date range, but the serial number is show in the photos so is really is from around 1970.) It is silver plated and is in very good shape, but the case is pretty bad. I don't see any dents that are a concern - in fact there are fewer than one would expect. I just added the new photo of the valve the seller uploaded. There is some wear and pitting, but I suspect nothing that affects playability yet (I say this because the similar-vintage Besson I had in the CG Band had valves that look like this when we traded it in, and it still played fine). The starting bid is $809 and shipping is only about $65.

SOLD FOR $1,158 + SHIPPING - GREAT!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393256270830

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	125873 Click image for larger version

Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	125874 Click image for larger version

Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	125875 Click image for larger version

Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	125877 Click image for larger version

Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	125876 Click image for larger version

Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	125878
    Last edited by davewerden; 04-29-2021, 10:16 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • 1Cor13:4
    • Feb 2021

I messaged the seller and he noted it's from 1970, but missed one spot in the description so it still says 1800s there. His source was probably confused because 50000 range is 1800s, but 500000, one more digit is 1970s.

I wish he had posted valve photos, but you would think with his good it looks the previous owner took care of the instrument
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 04-22-2021, 10:40 AM.
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• Feb 2021

How would you compare a classic Besson like this to say a Mack Brass 1150?
      Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• Shinn
        • Feb 2020

With the ‘Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser’ in Picture 1 of 12, it begs the question was that used on this horn? Was it a legendary Besson frosted silver finish that had tarnished over time and now after being cleaned with Soft Cleanser will only have a flat/matte finish?
        Last edited by Shinn; 04-22-2021, 05:46 PM.
        David Shinn
        Peninsula Concert Band
        Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
        1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
        Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 1Cor13:4 View Post
          How would you compare a classic Besson like this to say a Mack Brass 1150?
          The classic Bessons are unique and were exceptional at what the did. They have a very focused, rich sound with great projection, and are quite sweet to play. The 6th partial is pretty sharp, and I used alternate fingerings to tame the 3 notes there - otherwise the intonation was very good.

The modern horns from Mack, Wessex, ACB, JP, etc. have a somewhat larger sound that is not as rich. But the tone is more "neutral" in a way. Response in the low register is usually better.

Phil Franke in the U.S. Marine Band used a horn like this for his whole career and sounded great. He also managed to blend with his section mate(s) who were using Willsons, BTW.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Feb 2021

Thanks for the information.

He's since posted a picture of the valves.

Comment

• MooreTrombone
              • Dec 2020

Thanks for posting this - I live nearby, so I called the seller about it. I’m going to try and drop in to check it out in a few days.

I’m a doubler and have been looking to pickup a euphonium like this, but I recognize my knowledge of euphonium gear is nowhere near that of trombone... is there anything you’d recommend checking specifically on this horn, or other pictures you would want to see? If it doesn’t work out for me, I’ll happily add more info/pictures to this thread.

Comment

• John Morgan
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by MooreTrombone View Post
                Thanks for posting this - I live nearby, so I called the seller about it. I’m going to try and drop in to check it out in a few days.

I’m a doubler and have been looking to pickup a euphonium like this, but I recognize my knowledge of euphonium gear is nowhere near that of trombone... is there anything you’d recommend checking specifically on this horn, or other pictures you would want to see? If it doesn’t work out for me, I’ll happily add more info/pictures to this thread.
                I bought a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial from the 1950's a few years ago. I saw it advertised on line and snapped it up because of what I saw. I wanted few, very few dents, no evidence of any bell creases, all joints and solder points in good condition, no leaks, slides all working, valves not pitted and with good compression, water keys serviceable, finish in decent shape. Those were some of the cosmetics I looked for plus some of the functionality. I wasn't too concerned with the horn needing felts or pads, water key corks, or valve guide replacement (my horn needed that, and you might check that as well to see if the valve guides are in good shape or loose - as in worn down and making a metallic noise). The valve guides are an easy fix if they need replacement. And obviously check to make sure all the valves come out, the bottom caps of the valves unscrew and aren't frozen in place, and the small compensating slides on the 1st and 3rd valve come out and in.

And play the horn. The seller apparently has a mouthpiece that you could probably use. Be aware that concert Eb, E and F (above the staff) will be sharp on this horn. Pretty common tendency with this horn. But alternate fingerings help get around that. Since you will see the horn before buying it, bring some music along that you might play as a doubler (symphony parts that typically use a euphonium for example). See how it sounds to you. Having the luxury to try the horn before buying it is a big deal, so use it to see if this is the horn to do what you need it to. These are very nice horns with a really great sound. Just might fill the bill for you.
                Last edited by John Morgan; 04-23-2021, 10:32 AM.
                John Morgan
                The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                Year Round Except Summer:
                Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                Summer Only:
                Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• Feb 2021

One thing to note that Dave mentioned is that this is a medium shank receiver. Just something to consider if you already have mouthpieces, etc.

Comment

• highpitch
                    • Mar 2006

Make sure to take some valve oil with you if you get to play it.

DG

Comment

• Shinn
                      • Feb 2020

Sold for $1,158 + shipping.
                      David Shinn
                      Peninsula Concert Band
                      Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                      1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                      1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                      1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                      Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X